The Listening Room Reality

I still have the diaphragmatic bass traps to go up yet…waiting for GIK to swap out the huge T40’s for T70’s … I will keep you posted…currently all panels installed are pure insulation variety…Monsters and Alpha panels…the T70’s should target my 63 hz issue… (which is already much improved)
I will post some pictures when finished…her indoors (my better half!) has mellowed somewhat…phew…

4 Likes

Hi @Richieroo, great to hear about your successful room treatment. BTW, I too have a 63Hz issue, so interested to hear if the T70’s sort it.

Would it be possible for you to post photos of your room treatment, maybe when you have finished?

There is usually a balance to be struck between SQ uplift and WAF, well in my house anyway. :wink:

1 Like

Do we need to send NigelB back to school wearing Angus Young’s school uniform I wonder?! :thinking::joy::joy: Best Peter

1 Like

Can’t be sure but I think Richieroo edited his post adding the last sentence. This just happened to me when Clare edited a post answering my question.

OR, I got excited and didn’t finish reading R’s post! :crazy_face:

1 Like

Sure will not sure when T70’s are going to land…if you look closely at the tech data they actually have peak absorbtion at 63 hz. By my reconing they are about twice as efficient than Monster traps at that frequency…and they are at max efficiency when fixed back to the wall unlike monsters… we will :eyes: see…

2 Likes

How many of them are you going to use Rich and where please? ATB Peter
PS. In my situation I needed a peak absorption around Hz 100.

I am using 4 x 600x600 units pushed together to form a 1200x1200 square…apparently they are more efficient that way…my room is only small…so this is a significant amount. Your room is about 3x larger than mine…so I would think you would need to start with around 8 x T100’s in groups of 4 and some more monsters…have a chat with gik they are great…my T70’s are going on back wall behind the sofa…

1 Like

I have finished Rich but thank you. :+1:t3: ATB Peter

That’s all right…yeah the reality is you need quite allot of treatment to really make a significant difference … I will report back I hope to do another REW analysis to compare the before and after…

I’d agree with that: my LF absorption covers about 8% of my wall area (but then I have an almost square room and a 48Hz resonance that if left untreated is about +20dB!)

I have reduced mine a bit but it will eventually be around 28%…my room has a nasty 63hz hump…around 9dB with a very long decay time. I will feed back once I have the diaphragmatic absorbers fitted…certainly pleased so far…

From memory you have a very deep absorber which is pretty effective…

Hi Nigel,
I find it interesting that for some people, there is a resonance problem in the 60/65 HZ range.
As I wrote above I highly recommend a bass trap from the Canadian company PRIMACOUSTIC, which for me has solved the problem completely.
It’s a pretty big and quite heavy panel, but what is not done to improve the sound…
You may want to read about this product on their website, including data and product testing.

@Thomas ,@PeterR or anyone else.
Was considering these Vicoustic units in the front corners of my 17 X 25 foot room with vaulted ceiling. Haven’t done any measurements and no obvious issues but I probably wouldn’t know. Would appreciate forum input.
VicTotem Ultra VMT
Free standing acoustic product for absorption, diffusion and bass trap

I just found a very disturbing thing. I’ve had my Vicoustic wavewood panels since I rebuilt the plaster wall behind the speakers to wooden one with 45 mm wooden insulation.

Just thought I’d try removing them. They were 10. It sounds better without them. It’s as if they ad some kind of hardness to the sound. I really need to get my room measured anew and Also I wonder if these wavewood combined diffusion and absorption might sound kind of bad.

Hi @jsaudio ,

It is always a good idea to add treatment to a listening room.

You can’t go wrong with Vicoustic. They produce expensive but fine products. I use a lot of them.

Artnovion is another Portuguese company offering interesting products, especially the basstraps (diaphragmatic).

That said, advising or simply having an opinion without measurements and/or pictures doesn’t make much sense.

Of course, “reading” measurements isn’t trivial, and doing those measurements either.

But with pictures (and dimensions) showing the listening position, the speakers position, etc. we can easily attend to some basic problems like first reflection points and speculate about the high pressure zones.

A couple pictures, showing the entire room would help.

One taken from the back wall, firing to the speakers, and another from the front wall firing to the back wall, would help.

Hi @Thomas thanks for your input.

Here are the photos from front and rear.
Are you familiar with that particular Vicoustic product I mentioned in my original post and do you think it would be of value in my situation?was thinking of placing them in the corners behind speakers.
Really appreciate your valuable advice.
Anyone else also of course.

1 Like

Nice room!

Do you mind taking a few other pictures. From left to right and right to left. And a few others from corners to corners.

My first advice would be :

• Don’t focus on a specific panel or brand.

• Don’t buy one or two panels, it won’t make a difference. You’ll end-up being disappointed, like many have, and will conclude that treatment is useless.

• You need to set a goal and focus on what you wish to achieve.

Your room is nice, and both listening position and speakers position seem to be ok.

Your stereo image is probably good. But trust me, it could easily be A LOT better. You room dimensions are good, but you obviously have low end issues (we all do).

I believe you can do something really nice in your room.

It’ll mostly depend on how much you willing to spend and how far you wish to go in terms of room transformation.

Side views and views from front corners

2 Likes

Thanks for the pictures.

Ok, it’ll be trickier then I thought.

You probably wish to use removable treatment for the sides and front and back walls.

Would you be ok with non-removable treatment on the ceiling?