The Listening Room Reality

Thanks! :smiley:

This is the latest iteration of the room:

The Listening Room Reality - #879 by Thomas

Lovely room, Thomas… happy for you and wife! The effort and care certainly show… I’m going to be the devil’s advocate for the Fraims… :stuck_out_tongue: :sweat_smile: :grimacing: [am joking]

Cheers

Thanks @PhilP :smiley:

I have even planned some additional changes.

For me, the listening room is the most critical element of a HiFi system, and this is because it is the weakest link in the reproduction chain most of the time.

Of course, a good system is still a good system. But a good system in a problematic room will hardly be better than the room itself.

Regarding the Naim Fraim, I am aware that my cabinet was a heresy :sweat_smile:
But I no longer have my 500 DR series system.

I recently sold it and switched to Soulution electronics.

Now my current rack is even more of a heresy : three pieces of wood, some stainless steel and a few screws :joy:

Naim will never be the end all, Thomas…… there is life after Naim ….just a different sort of sonic life - whatever rocks our boats……

I was away for two decades and Naim sound’s still my cup of tea. Nothing I’ve seen or heard outside rocks my sonic boat. I did like the FM Acoustics though.

Have to confess…. it’s got to look good too. To each his own.

Maybe you’ll come back to the Dark Side after Soulution…… sometime yonder with the S1…… ha ha We await your return……

Cheers

Phil P

1 Like

Gold. Exact sentiments.

:metal:t3::sunglasses:

Phil P

Hi @Thomas . Lots of new “toys” I see. I feel your excitement with your almost entirely new system. Was wondering if you ever considered subs given that Magico has several impressive subs?

So maybe we should aim to purchase/let a property that has a living room with decent acoustics, rather than move in to an unsuitable place and then dream of upgrading equipment.

I’ve started viewing flats. First one I ruled out because at least 3 of living room walls were partition walls.

Property I viewing next week looks nice and is at a very attractive price.

However - the dimensions of the living room are not good.

11 foot 9 by 12.8. Almost square.

I’m single, so no WAF factor.

I’d rather not have to spend hundreds of pounds (or more) on acoustic treatment.

STAY AWAY from a square room!:face_with_head_bandage: ATB Peter

2 Likes

It’s good… so your life and money and freedom to do what you want, and to buy whatever hi fi you fancy is entirely yours to decide …

Inevitable - acoustic treatment. But good to be considering where the system will be based - exciting! Wish you the very best in your journey. Same for me.

Cheers

Phil P

1 Like

Or a round one!!!

2 Likes

Years ago I though that the ideal HiFi system - from the POV of realism in placing where sounds come from - would involve 4 speakers set at the apices of a tetrahedron, with you (or your head, anyway) sat in the geometric centre of it. It would, of course, involve some fairly difficult recording issues regarding the placement of microphones, and the listening room would probably have to a hollow sphere, and TBH I haven’t yet found a room like that.

You really don’t have to spend a fortune. I recently took a punt on a pair of corner bass traps for just €72 to put into a room already treated with acoustic wall panelling/carpeting/existing non-square shaping and wow. Bargain. Now there’s no bass frequency bouncing back from the corners behind the speakers. I’m hearing a whole new level of detail and cohesion.

Unless you’re one of the contributors to this Forum who has a “the wife” impediment to lounge decor choices :wink:, do it. Worth every penny.

3 Likes

Hi @Peter,

That’s it, I’ve finished the rack.

I took the easy way out. The structure will not include any vibration control.

It will be made of 25 mm (1 inch) thick aluminium. Anodised exactly like the Soulution.

I have contacted Soulution in Zurich and will use the same subcontractor as them. So the finish will be exactly the same as my electronics.

If I wish, in the future, I can change the platforms, feet, etc. The system remains modular. The CEO of Soulution liked it very much and validated the ventilation of the 711 (which was my concern).

Here is the structure.

And here is the complete rack with the 3 electronics on it (Taiko Extreme, 760 and 711).

15 Likes

I really like the way you have tracked down the same subcontractor to match the finish, this will be a very elegant solution! What are the isolation pads you have shown under each box?

That looks really neat…I would not put regular sided holes in the support boards…ie I would use a rhomboid type shape with tapering sides…if that makes sense. Another thing I did many years ago was foam fill the tube work…which completely eliminated ringing. Please post pictures of your finished unit…fab!

Looks sleek and simple Thomas well done! :+1:t3: Best Peter

I think you made a good decision to make a nice rigid rack as a solid foundation to start with. You can then later develop and play with the individual isolated platforms to improve performance. :+1:t2:

1 Like

Thanks! :smiley:
I’ll use screws to assemble the structure.
The structure is made of solid aluminium.
I’ll post some pictures when finished/assembled.

Thanks Peter :smiley:

It may sound insane but this is the 15th version of the rack.

It’s not straight forward to achieve a simple result that meets the needs and is relatively easy to machine.

I’ll show some more sketches this evening.

1 Like