The Listening Room Reality

Have you considered rotaring speakers and listing position 180 degrees so that you are facng the kitchen area? This would eliminate front wall reflections completly. The new back wall relflections would have a decent delay and thus not interfare as much as the front wall reflections in the plan above. Perhaps you can also find a way to not have the electronics between the speakers.
Hans

Turning the system by 180 is not necessarily a better option.

I prefer to have the speakers aimed at the kitchen. The 51 cm thick absorber wall will do its job.

As for the front wall, I’ll place there what I have now : a large 180cm x 180cm diffuser and two membrane BassTraps (90x200 cm) behind the speakers.

Also, the distance between the speakers and the walls is sufficient, as shown above.

If I measure a peak somewhere below 100 Hz, I will add PSI AVAA C20s. I have planned the slots for them.

As for the rack between the speakers, given its recessed position I don’t think it will cause any problems. On the contrary. Placing the rack to the right or left will break the symmetry which is not good. Anyway, I can’t do it. My speaker cables are too short. I have two meters of Nordost Valhalla 2.

Really interesting thread. Is this the main living space? I presumed there is another living area for the family to use. If I suggested this I think the family would move me to the garage :rofl:

Really looking forward to seeing new build that @Charlie is building. Like a grand designs program!

2 Likes

Hopefully not :wink:

Very true, we don’t want it to take 5 years and still not be finished :rofl:

1 Like

The remaining parts of my old acoustic treatment are going.

I’ve thrown away some of the absorbers, but those I’ll sell for a fraction of the price. Some benefit from others changes. That’s good.

4 Likes

Listening Rooms and Control Rooms share the same constraints.

In both cases, the room should have as little impact as possible on the music played through the speakers.

In the case of Listening Rooms the aim is to enjoy the recording without it being altered by the room.

And in the case of Control Rooms the aim is to modify the recording with accuracy. This means that the sound engineer must be able to trust what he hears.

In both cases, the room is a problem that needs to be fixed.

This very interesting article discusses the different approaches to acoustic treatment.

Even if you don’t plan to treat your room, the article is still interesting for anyone interested in music reproduction and high fidelity.

The SOS Guide To Control Room Design

5 Likes

Thank you, Thomas. This is well worth reading.

2 Likes

My not so bad, home made, temporary, audio rack.

The threaded rods (M16), bolts(M16), washers and platform plates are made of stainless steel.

The platforms are a sandwich made of :

stainless steel plates (3 mm)
cork plates (10 mm)
plywood plates (10 mm)
Cork feet with anti-vibration pads

The three levels are made of 23 mm plywood.

All plywood parts have been lazured (old oak) and varnished (three coats).

Quite a job! :sweat_smile:

The final rack is still under construction / design adjustement.

3 Likes

@Thomas- what type of adhesive did you use to laminate the SS/cork/plywood?

It’s a glue that keeps its elasticity after drying. The glue is produced by Gyso, a Swiss company specialized in glues.

2 Likes

Hi ,Thomas will can you post up a video of the finished room with speakers in place,nice job on temporary rack.

I will try to do so. In any case I will take pictures.

But the room is far from being finished. In fact, it’s barely begun.

The delivery of the material from France arrives on Tuesday, a month later than the announced delivery date. The material has travelled twice from the company’s warehouses and the border… Geniuses… :expressionless:

The Taiko Extreme should arrive soon. I will place it on the rack with the Soulutions. I will connect it to the speakers of my second system. This will allow to break in the cables and the Taiko.

I don’t have a delivery date for the Magico M2 yet. It’s not a bad thing considering the delay in the construction of the listening room.

Cheers.

Hi… great to hear your updates, Sir! Which preferred DAC, Thomas?

Cheers

Sorry, I’m not sure I fully get it. What exactly do you mean?

The Taiko Extreme server needs a DAC to work, if I stand corrected.

The DAC is a Soulution 760.
I bought it a few months ago along with the Soulution 711 amplifier.
It’s a very nice combo :smiley:

1 Like

Very nice indeed, Thomas - watching this build / project / passion with immense interest.

Is it better than my ifi zen dac? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like