The Listening Room Reality

Believe it or not, but installing the 4 Furutech electrical outlets took me 5-6 hours of actual work! A full day with some breaks.

When you think it’s going to be quick and you get stuck in one mess after another… :face_with_spiral_eyes:

Tomorrow I’ll take care of the network sockets. Much easier… or not :sweat_smile:

11 Likes

Looking great so far! I dread to think how long those sockets will take to burn in. The FI-50 NCF plugs and wall plugs are the equivalent of a tonal Jekyll & Hyde, even after 150hrs. Another few days should see them stabilise, hopefully :pray:. Sound amazing though when they do settle though!

That room just looks like it’s going to be amazing given all the time spent getting even the small details right! Great stuff

2 Likes

Nice, also a fan of PB Swiss & Knipex. Although I have the classic handles for the former.

2 Likes

That’s it. It took me less than 2 hours.

There are 4 network outlets.
For two types of ethernet cable.

• Good quality industrial cable (R&M ca.7A S/FTP 4P AWG22-1300MHz)

• VIABLUE™ EP-7 Silver Cat7 network cable

Each is terminated in two different ways:

• shielding connected to both ends (network socket and switch)

• shielding connected to the switch only.

6 Likes

What will each ethernet socket be used for or is it just to provide enough cover for every possible future scenario? Looking good!

I don’t think I will use more than one RJ45 socket.

Why did I install 4 of them then?

Simply because it was possible.

And because it’s better to have too many than not enough.

The difference in cost between 1 and 4 sockets is negligible compared to the cost and effort of adding one more.

The difference in cost between 1 and 4 sockets is negligible compared to the cost and effort it would take to add one more later. Now everything is in the walls, clean and tidy.

It also allows me to play with two different types of network cable: the audiophile cable (Viablue) and the industrial cable (R&M).

The two top connectors are Viablue. Shielding terminated at both ends, and shielding terminated at the switch side only.

The bottom two connectors are R&M. Shielding terminated at both ends, and shielding terminated at the switch side only.

4 Likes

Makes sense… especially when it’s way easier to do it at this stage. Good idea to have a mix of shielded and unshielded options.

All cables are shielded.

I just didn’t connect the shielding to the RJ45 connector.

The connectors themselves are different. One is shielded and the other is not.

2 Likes

Sorry, that’s what I was meaning. I’ve a couple of shielded cables with one end floating (not connected to the RJ45).

1 Like

Do you imagine that the sound ends up seeming you sterile, or that it simply does not meet your expectations…

Reversibility has a cost, in addition to that derived from all the work and reform… And difficult times are coming, fast… Truth is that I can’t avoid to act as the “Pepito Grillo”, which already cost me an upset in the forum from which I have not yet recovered… But, well, let’s leave that line, which could be called politics.

To me, honestly, it seems crazy, without acrimony; several times I have thought how comfortable I am with my system, with 8 absorption panels and a bass trap well located and perfectly integrated into the decoration of a multifunctional room of 60 m2 that I can enjoy sharing it with my family and friends to do multiple things while listening to music, to work while listening to music, or to just listen to music. It may not be perfect acoustically, surely, but to me it sounds like glory since the last update, well 3 years ago, and personally I would be overwhelmed and sad in such a room, my way of understanding music is from its integration into everyday life. But, horses for courses.

In any case, if it deserves you more pleasure and hapyness it will be a good investment, so I wish you can enjoy it helthy.

1 Like

I don’t think I will be the least bit disappointed with the result.

This project is nothing more than a continuation, or a better thought-out version, of the previous acoustic treatment.

So I have no doubt about the result. When I said that I was looking forward to hearing the room, I meant mainly how far the treatment would go in terms of absorbing the lower end of the spectrum.

In terms of sharing the music, and the use of what is called a “living room” I believe we see things differently.

My daughter, my wife and I have never used the living room as it is commonly used.

We don’t have a TV (we don’t have time for that).

So the living room has become a reading room and a place to listen to music. Two activities that are perfectly compatible in terms of space.

The living room has therefore become, by force of circumstance, a listening room.

This acoustic treatment, the purchase of new HiFi equipment, is not a personal, selfish decision. It is a family choice.

Besides, the person who is most upset not to have the HiFi since mid-February is … my daughter! :laughing:

Apart from the standard activities like work for my wife and I, and school for my daughter, our life revolves around climbing, alpinism, reading and music (and for me, a little too much time on this forum :wink:).

4 Likes

Is there a possibility that the room could sound over damped or dead acoustically?

Overdamped and Dead are two often used expressions that don’t really have a meaning as such.

It is more the expression of a feeling than something objective.

There is a whole thread on the subject called “Why is a totally dead room bad?” on the Gearspace dot com forum.

It is also important to know that the ear quickly becomes accustomed to a type of listening environment (even noise!), and to a specific reverberation time: the one of our environment. Any change can create discomfort. We don’t like change…

Imagine that you have lived in the jungle all your life, without walls. From one day to the next you find yourself in a 40 m2 shoebox-shaped room. Apart from the limited space, it’s the acoustics that will bother you the most. The sound environment is something to which we are extremely sensitive. Psychoacoustics is a fascinating subject.

From an acoustic point of view, what can happen is a non-even absorption over the spectrum.

For example, the use of curtains and thin absorbers (or foam) only.

Of course, such a minimal treatment provides interesting gains, especially when applied at the first reflection points. But it can create an imbalance. The high and midrange are absorbed, and the low midrange and bass not at all.

In some cases, for certain types of music, the result can be a sound lacking in sharpness, a thin sound, etc.

Obviously, the stereo image and definition are improved, but it may seem as if the shine of the music is lost. Especially with pop and rock music. The lower end of the spectrum overwhelms everything.

So no, I’m not worried about a potential dead room.

My Soulution/Magico set sounds much better at my place than at my dealer’s, even though my room is much smaller (38 m2).

Once you get used to less distortion, to a treated room, there is no going back.

Even worse, when you go to others’ homes you hear nothing but distortion : comb filtering, timing problems, unstable stereo image, etc. Even with really really expensive systems.

5 Likes

Thanks for the explanation, it’s been very interesting following your journey/experiment.

Are you basically building an anechoic chamber?

No, not at all :joy:

Firstly there are very few truly anechoic chambers in the world and secondly it would be totally unbearable :nauseated_face:

We absolutely need reverberation to situate ourselves in space. Without these reflections, this reverberation of ambient sound, we would feel uncomfortable.

It reminds me of the number one mistake that many audiophiles make: the carpet, putting in carpeting and leaving the ceiling completely flat and untreated.

There is one surface that is important to leave untreated if comfort is a concern: the floor (apart from the first reflection point, of course).

1 Like

The plug looks of level thomas or is it the photo.?

Having read Thomas posts i suspect i could calibrate my spirit level of those sockets!

2 Likes

Hi Thomas, would very much agree. I appreciate that I haven’t taken my room as far as yours, but even the 22 panels in my room has literally attenuated the boundary effects to a point ( not fully ) , where I feel that I am only hearing the sound from the system. It’s taken literally 2 years to finish and as you say, there is no going back for me either :blush: Keeping my fingers crossed for your project Best Peter

4 Likes

I have 1970’s stippled ceilings which I would love to get rid off. Thomas has made me think that I should save myself the cost even though all the reviews say that though there is an acoustic benefit with stippled (popcorn in the US) ceilings it is quite small!

1 Like

Indeed, the top double socket is not quite level. It is tilted by perhaps 2-3 mm. This is a bit reinforced by the picture.

It’s a miracle that I managed to connect all that.

I’ll skip the details, but believe me, it was a real challenge…

Little space in the wall, the 4 huge GigaWatt cables placed in tubes, the flush boxes, etc… in short, I didn’t anticipate enough the location of these plugs.

I could have paid an electrician to do the job, but I’m glad I did it myself. I don’t think he would have had enough patience or attention to detail.

I paid the electrician to redo the breaker box and move some switches and outlets.

I am quite happy with the installation.

Each device will have its own separate live wire, circuit breaker and plug. I don’t think we could do much more.

2 Likes