The Listening Room Reality

Looks like maybe Hans Beekhuyzen’s son :rofl:

1 Like

I agree, the interviewer was leading and spent far too much time reiterating his own point of view rather than simply asking questions and letting Emile answer. Still, some interesting insights from Emile. I was interested in his comments that seemingly minor software tweaks almost always had unintended effects on the sound. He also seems to place very high importance on choosing the right power cable.

1 Like

The Caruso Iso Bond order has been delivered.
It takes up one of my parking spaces :sweat_smile:

In a previous post, I raised the difficult question of “how much”.

How much volume of absorber is really needed to achieve a given frequency response target.

I set myself the goal of a nearly flat frequency response and a homogeneous decay time down to 45 Hz.

In order to give you an idea, here is what I have evaluated to be necessary.

3 Likes

Wow, that puts out into perspective. That is the volume of space you will lose from your apartment !

1 Like

Lol. If it were my room, that lot would leave me just enough space to sit down. Possibly use one bundle as a table for my whisky!

Looks like you’ll have a busy weekend!

1 Like

Hi Thomas, I prefer the red stuff on the left :grinning:

1 Like

Indeed, it takes up a lot of volume/surface.
It’s a choice that fits well with our way of life.

Some would say that I could have used membrane based absorbers. I won’t elaborate, but unfortunately it’s not that simple/easy.

Quality porous absorber in adequat quantity is perfect for treating down to 45 Hz.

Below that, we really need something else.

If I feel the need I will add some active bass traps.

1 Like

This weekend it will be rock climbing! :person_climbing:
The weather is too nice to stay at home. And I have some training to catch up.

1 Like

:wink:

Good man… sports, trad or bouldering?

I’m too old for bouldering :sweat_smile:.
I tore 6 pulleys. That’s enough. I’m too impatient for that… :wink:
I do sport and trad. But trad only on granite.

This weekend it’ll be sport.

I planning to visit two projects left in the pipeline. A 8a and maybe an 8a+. I’m not planning to send anything (for the moment), just to check in what condition are the quickdraws I left last year.

1 Like

Sounds like a good weekend. More into bouldering and also trad…the most we do up to is British Trad 6c+… provided it is more crimpy… hate slopers :joy:. Plenty of support tape needed!

I’ve done a bit of sport while in Saas Fee. I think the last one we did (me and the missus) was on the Yegihorn… amazing day out, plenty of air beneath you and finishing right on the summit cross!

The Jegihorn is a nice climb, and the granite is very beautiful. Not as nice as the one in Chamonix but still not bad.

I did the Jegihorn the day before doing the Fletschhorn-Lagginhorn traverse. It’s a nice combination to make the trip from Lausanne worthwhile. Saas Fee is really a nice place.

Good to see that there are other climbers on the forum. Music is good, but granite is… better? :wink:

1 Like

The new circuit breaker cabinet.

The black line of circuit breakers is dedicated to audio, and is isolated from the rest

• 1x Doepke DFS4 63A / 0,03A Differential circuit breaker
  • 4x GigaWatt G-16A 2P
  • 4 strands of In-Wall Cable GigaWatt LC-Y EVO 3X4

Each GigaWatt circuit breaker is connected to a Furutech socket (FT-SWS-D NCF - R) via one strand of thick GigaWatt cable.

This way each HiFi element has its own power outlet and its own circuit breaker.

I pushed things to the limit. Even the wiring of the circuit breakers is of audio quality.

5 Likes

Very interesting this :+1:t3: ATB Peter

1 Like

Man inadvertently builds his own padded cell in the never ending quest for hifi nirvana🙂

7 Likes

In a way, this is true. But a padded cell is above all a cell where one loses one’s freedom. Whereas a “padded listening room” is the starting point of an infinite number of musical journeys. :smiley:

3 Likes

Holy Sh1t….!

When that lot was delivered was there not just one small part of you that said “ I’ve gone too far” ?

Absolutely not! :joy:

In fact, I wondered if I had planned enough margin of Caruso absorbing material :nerd_face:

You have to take into account the scraps, which represent a certain amount.

That thought popped into my head when I got the quote for the aluminium frame I was planning for my audio rack (over 5k!). I didn’t place the order :sweat_smile:

Home Studio Acoustics: Why You Can’t Calculate How Much Treatment You Need - AcousticsInsider.com - YouTube

This video is, for me, the most interesting one that Jesco has released for some time.

It addresses one of my concerns:

How much acoustic treatment is needed to significantly change the acoustic behaviour of a room?

I knew the answer. The video confirms it:
We need a lot! Really a lot!

A few absorber panels will change our perception of the room. It will fix the first reflection points. But will have no real effect on the global acoustic behaviour of the room. Especially in the low end of the spectrum.

My own acoustic treatment, when finished, will consist of 3.24 m2 of diffuser and ~35 m2 covered with 47-52 cm thick broad band absorbers made of Caruso Iso Bond (with a flow resistivity of 5000 Pa.s/m2).

Sounds a lot, but considering the surface of the room it’s not that much.

Really looking forward to “hear” the room when finished :smiley:

3 Likes