The Listening Room Reality

Thanks - that is helpful. I have some GIK diffusers behind my speakers as well and found similar results, but I would guess your Vicoustic diffusers are more effective. I certainly preferred the sound with them in place. I found that sense of spaciousness you mention, along with more precise soundstaging. I also have some absorption panels on the ceiling that I find beneficial but nothing behind the listening position as there is a lot of space behind me, just over 4 meters. In any case, thanks again. Really glad you’ve got a result you’re happy with.

I have done something similar - made quite a substantial improvement in musical impact, across all frequencies.

1 Like

Yes diffuser are good tool the vicoustic are heavy i think they weigh 15.5kg per panel, but thet are very well made and look good i was surprised of how well they are finished.

1 Like

Can I ask about the logic of placing them on the front wall as I understand it diffusion is mainly for high frequencies and that is directional so should no bounce off the front wall?

I have them on back wall aswell they have a postive effect on the front you would need to hear it but the vocal is more focused better height . I did try before i bought as they are 300euro per panel i have 5 on the front and 2 on the back,i was able to get a lend of some also depends on room mine is L shaped so that might have some impact but when they are not on the front wall it is not as good .

Not doubting they do good just wondering what the theory behind it is. I see them a lot on front walls (Darko’s article on his room make over for instance0 just never been able to get to the bottom of the theory

Respect!!!

Yes this link might help you understand .Ideal Acoustic Diffuser Placement Guide - www.AcousticFields.com - YouTube

It’s hard too explain what’s actually happening but it sound pleasant.

Peter is this a dedicated room?? It looks great…hows the wife excepance factor??? Its a while since I have seen pics of your room … are you pleased with the results…looks as it you have nailed the corner treatment and 1st reflections…should give you great bass and very nice imaging…

Hi Rich, thank you and yes it is dedicated room. My wife has been extremely good about that, as our tastes in music are VERY different, hence I’ve now only got a single retro Ikea chair in there and very comfortable too. As stated before it really has been a transformational process, like you yourself has posted about on this thread. Dimensionality, separation, focus on vocals and timing has become very believable and present for sure.
My back wall however looks like a dog’s diner but hey, the room has taken a big step back ( yet kept very ‘live’), and the music has very much moved to the foreground.

Yeah….:crazy_face:, but who cares!

Enjoy your room too Best Peter

2 Likes

Be careful with diffusion, though.

Diffusers work on a limited frequency range. Everything above and below that frequency range is reflected.

Moreover, it is very difficult to treat the low medium with diffusers. Not to mention the low end.

Absorption works over a much wider frequency range and, above all, it is possible to hit the low frequencies.

In small rooms we shouldn’t abuse the use of diffusers. They take up space and do not dissipate energy. Usually in small rooms we try to dissipate some energy, especially in the low end of the frequency range.

But once again, it’s a matter of taste.

1 Like

:+1:

I’m imagining something like this

9 Likes

I’ll probably order two AVAAs! :sweat_smile:

This morning I contacted PSI Audio. I was lucky, I spoke directly to the head R&D engineer.

I told him about my listening room project and the possibility of integrating two AVAAs to hit under 40 Hz.

We chatted for a good twenty minutes. He invited me to visit their facility and even offered to lend me a pair of AVAAs.

So I will most certainly add two AVAAs to my acoustic treatment.

2 Likes

Hi @Thomas
Following your project reports with great interest. I have considered 2 AVAA units placed in the front corners behind the speakers in my 17 X 25 foot room but have no measurements. Would do it empirically. Does that make sense?

AVAAs are an efficient and space-saving solution for handling the 15Hz-150Hz frequency range, i.e. the bass.

But it only treats that frequency band.

If you wish to improve your listening experience, you must treat the rest as well.

Treating above 150Hz is really the easiest part. But it has to be done.

To answer your question, yes it would make sense to add 2 or 4 AVAAs in your room in the high pressure areas like the corners.

Here is a short and very good video explaining the acoustic problems associated with small rooms and what a system like AVAA can achieve.

PSI Audio AVAA Demystified - Chapter 1 - The Room Modes - YouTube

PSI Audio AVAA Demystified - Chapter 2 - How it works - YouTube

Thanks and great luck with your ambitious project.

1 Like

One thing I am curious about.

How will the door open?

Should be something like that :

2 Likes