The Listening Room Reality

Wow that looks cool

A thought…

Could you cut a curved section into the wall so that the door can hinge from the side and open like a regular door, something like this. (The door would need to swing pretty much back to the wall.)

A 1m door width (i.e. 1m radius), in a 530mm thick wall, would need a set back of about 150mm, for a door width on the outside of about 850mm, which is a respectable conventional door width.

(Microsoft Paint. Old habits die hard.)

2 Likes

I think I’ve already covered that

It is not necessary to have a door with a curved cut-out.

It is sufficient to calculate the recess required for the door to open.

The length C is calculated from the lengths A and B. It’s just a bit of trigonometry.

4 Likes

Yes I see… Of course it’s not trying to pivot back from the closed position. Nice.

The good old SOHCAHTOA trigo formulas will easily provide the dimensions and angles. Google it and there is even calculator helping you if needed.

Hey that just reminds me that there are some super nice specialized hinges for kind of “hinden” thick doors with eccentric pivot that you can get and it look real great. You could even make your room “Ze great hidden listening room”
I’m kidding, but more seriously, you can look at those real nice hinges. They are good … but not cheap.

2 Likes

Food for thought

Early Reflections Are Not Beneficial

1 Like

Hooray, I’ve been saying that for years!

Very often in response to people claiming that the stereo image extends outside the speakers (it doesn’t, that an artefact of reflections!).

3 Likes

It depends…On Roger Water’s “Amused to death” (AP Vinyl Reissue) in the beginning the dog seems to be barking to the right and from behind of my listening-position. And the chap talking later on is sitting exactly to my left, beside me.
There are productions where the sound is meant to be well outside of the speakers.
Not always, of course.

Look up how Blumlein stereo works.

Anything outside the line between the speakers is an artefact caused by reflection; the signal may be designed to exploit that type of artefact, but it’s still an artefact none the less.

1 Like

To quote Ethan from the article and to which i fully agree …

“Some audiophiles believe that reflections in a listening room enhance spaciousness. On the surface this seems plausible, though it’s incorrect for home-size rooms. The ambience and reverb contained in many recordings is that of a large space - a concert hall, a movie scoring sound stage, or an equivalent space created with artificial reverb. But when played back in a small untreated room, the strong early reflections from nearby surfaces drown out the larger sounding reverb in the recording. This makes the music sound smaller and narrower, not larger and wider. As proof, headphones are fully anechoic having no reflections, yet music generally sounds larger on headphones than through loudspeakers.”

Therefore its easy to see that by treating the early reflections that will make the sound stage larger and wider if it is part of the recording.

An untreated room will smother that fine detail with the room distortions.

By treating a room you can make it ‘disappear’ so that the musicians are not in your room , you are in the venue where the recording took place , be it a studio , small club , concert hall or even outdoor event. That includes sound wider than the speakers.

3 Likes

All correct until that last sentence - look up Blumlein stereo and you’ll see that simply can’t be true: anything outside of the line between the speakers can ONLY be achieved through reflection. Even in the best treated rooms there will still be some reflection and this explains the “outside the speakers” effect in well treated rooms.

1 Like

This seems to be a matter of preference. Of course early reflections are not beneficial, but I don’t want my room to disappear completely, either

2 Likes

It is obvious that early reflections generate distortion and therefore degrade the sound.

In fact, it’s quite unquestionable and everybody, or almost everybody, knows it and has experienced it… in high school! :smiley:

Remember, you certainly learned it in physics class. The tank with water. The ripples at the surface of the water. The stroboscope. The projector (or the camera for the youngest among you).

Doesn’t it sound familiar? :wink:

Cancellations… amplitude doubled… still wave…

Only the vocabulary changes: dips, nulls, room modes :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Having said that, it is again a matter of taste. A little distortion can give the illusion of a larger sound stage and that can be pleasant.

Let’s not forget that the brain is an extraordinary filter. The fact that we can understand each other in a completely bare room, in a hallway or in a reverberant bathroom is a remarkable feat of nature.

But there is no such thing as a free meal, distortion eventually produces hearing fatigue. Just as it is tiring to talk to each other in a room with too much reverberation.

….so there you are sat enjoying the sun at at an outside cafe table and on the waiter’s recommendation you are about to be served the absolute best ever produced beer ‘in the World’……You sip it….give it a chance, and go: “I think I prefer a Carlsberg”. Enjoy Peter

1 Like

You kind of beat me to it Thomas :wink: and I’m still feeling confident we could talk for hours in my room without fatique :rofl: Best Peter

1 Like

I don’t doubt it for a second. Your listening room is gorgeous and far from having the acoustics of the Villa Savoye’s bathroom :sweat_smile:

1 Like

The best listening room is no room at all?

I should invest in a field😁

To be fair, a good PA at an outdoor concert can sound pretty special.

Actually, not really.

And again, it’s a matter of taste.

But if I were to imagine a perfect/imaginary room, it would be one without room modes and with perfect size in termes of distances (speaker-walls-listener).