The Listening Room Reality

In my (very) limited experience of room treatment, I’ve been struck by how often you enhance certain attributes by intentionally removing / inhibiting them (e.g. adding bass absorption).

After some readings and ruminations, I decided to add not two but four PSI AVAA C20s.

But why?

Given the huge amount of absorption I’m installing, I have the guarantee that the room will be under control down to 80Hz-100Hz.

Between 45Hz and 80Hz, where room modes are most problematic (there is a lot of energy at those frequencies), even with 50cm (20 inch) of absorbing material, control will be lesser. It is exactly for that frequency range that the AVAA C20 are awesome.

This will inevitably result in a poorer frequency response below 80Hz.

Obviously, it will be incomparably better than what can be achieved with acoustic panels, but still. The aim is to achieve an even frequency response and decay time down to 45Hz.

Now the problem will be the placement of the AVAAs…

I have no idea if the placements I have chosen are correct… and I have relatively few options…

1 Like

Really interested to see how you get on with the AVAA. I have been on the verge of ordering a few times over the last few weeks.

Going to wait for my ATC 40As to arrive and bed in first now though I think.

If only you could listen to it without actually being in the room and causing all those reflections :wink:

1 Like

You are absolutely right! :joy: :joy: :joy:
I thought about that too!

Once the room is treated, the problem will be the listener!

So I planned an acoustic treatment for the listener too :nerd_face:

9 Likes

:joy:

1 Like

No not that but you may require the detective skills of Sherlock Holmes and his deerstalker to solve whatever ‘sound crimes’ are going on :grinning: :scream:

Flaps down and off you go!

3 Likes

Without forgetting the two essential attributes of the offending sound waves hunter!

4 Likes

You need an artificial head for binaural recording that floats in the air without your body and head causing very-near reflections. Then you can sit outside and listen with headphones on :wink:

Or a wireless connection straight into the cerebral cortex! :brain: :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Then you wouldn’t need a listening room at all :grin:

:thinking: … Yes !!!

That’s exactly it! :+1:

A new 3.0 DAC which output stage transmits the analogue signal directly into the brain.

Cerebral musical orgasm! :notes: :musical_note: :notes:

2 Likes

Yes had this sorted in 1971.

Yes: The Yes Album

4 Likes

Portal to another world?:sunglasses: No, attenuation of the first reflex at the side window…

4 Likes

Makes a big difference doesnt it😃

1 Like

Treating your room - Which strategy?

This video discusses the different approaches and possible mistakes when treating our rooms.

All rooms have problems. This is a fact.

But some problems are more audible than others.

In short: one problem always hides another.

Solving one problem means revealing the one that was hidden behind it.

So how should we proceed?

Global approach!

Bass Traps: What About Frequencies You Don't Want To Fix? - AcousticsInsider.com - YouTube

1 Like

Test your hearing

Here is a sine wave that goes from 20Hz to 20kHz. It’s interesting to find out where we begin to hear and at what frequency we stop hearing.

20Hz to 20kHz (Human Audio Spectrum) - YouTube

And here is a frequency generator that allows you to accurately identify where your upper and lower limits are.

https://onlinetonegenerator.com/

2 Likes

Those sorts of things are interesting, but aren’t they also a function of the equipment you’re replaying it through? I’m sure my speakers aren’t doing much at 20Hz. Or is that what you’re drawing attention to, the combination of replay equipment and our hearing limitations? I’m basically 45Hz-14kHz at best X)

1 Like

A pair of headphones or earbuds is more than sufficient.

Few loudspeakers go that low in the low frequencies.

And for hearing tests, headphones are a much better choice.

1 Like

Ah, of course! I have headphones X)