The Munich “Bird” Report

Indeed spot on, saw somewhere else amplification which looked quite similar - we will get to that later when I will write about the 2nd day, need to first close the 1st day report

The PMC with the new speakers and the AVM electronics was a nice room. One of the better ones on the show. The only comment on the critical side I mentioned is that the bass was perhaps a tad too controlled. But that’s complaining on a very high level.

They played
Dave Brubeck - don’t remember anymore the specific song, sounded great and very much alive
Nils Lofgren Band - bass and drum intro, obviously a nice piece to proof your bass performance, I also heard it later at another room
Corine Bailey Rey - which i didn’t document the title of the song

6 Likes

Nice speakers have heard them a few times, just surprised they have not launched a smaller variant.

1 Like

Synastec Saxum monoblock, from Germany.
120 kg.
Never heard or heard about. But you have the advertising panels that show the names of the brands, on the picture.

1 Like

Did anyone spend any time in an Aavik/Ansus/Borresen room?

Really enjoying this report - especially the record of the music being played by the different vendors. Opens a door to some lovely high quality recordings! Thanks.

The Reed turntable looks nice!

You can only get it from her directly from her web site. She sent me her two CDs signed and posted from Norway to New Zealand. Fabulous service and very well recorded and enjoyable music.

Funnily enough, her record company is…… yes……… Bird Records :+1:

5 Likes

Hi Mike,
Same here.
Loved the small sample of music that I heard, so went direct and bought the vinyl & cd versions of the album via Bird Records.

This Bert is a man of hidden talents. Not only does he write superb hifi show reviews, he now appears to own his own record company. Whatever next? :wink:

4 Likes

I first heard Liberty at a promo evening at my dealers for the NDX2. Now I have both :sunglasses:

3 Likes

….if you want you also can sent me the money directly, no need to buy music you don’t like….:grin:

5 Likes

Audionet was showing their goods with Wilson Benesch speakers. As always audionet get’s impressions with very good sound, while their components look a bit ugly in my eyes. However at the same time I missed a bit the emotion which I find so important for good audio equipment.

They played:
Duke Ellington and Louis Armstrong - Duke’s Place

5 Likes

Bart,
I visited then at AXPONA so I skipped it at Munich. It looked to be the same demo set up i have heard.

On the 2nd day I focussed on some demos which required tickets and which I was interested in and trying to cover the rest as well. However pity was that I couldn’t cover everything at the end as it was just too much to cover in a quality manner, and didn’t even spend serious time in the halls……
After acquiring the tickets I went on with Octave

They are the ones with the big lamps in the electronics. They used Cardeas Speakers. From a sound perspective I had the impression of transparency, while at the same time I would have liked a bit deeper bass and a bit more warmth in the sound. And that last remark is a bit strange as what they sell……, but it’s how I experienced it. Perhaps it was also the room acoustics.

They played:
John Campbell - Down the hole
Yello with Till Bronner - Till tomorrow
Friend ‘n Fellow - What a wonderful world

4 Likes

In the room of Moon by Simaudio

I was impressed by what a full sound was available from such small speakers. While not going to the lowest ranges covering everything very good. Great sound for small room or a situation you have to watch a bit the neighbors…. I called it a nice articulated sound in my notes.
They played:
Fink - Trouble’s What You Are In
Annette Askvik - Liberty

5 Likes

Just shortly watched no notes, so must not have been attractive to me….

4 Likes

So it’s time to stand on some toes in the forum. Chord……, and don’t misunderstand I use chord cables myself for places I am not allowed to speak about on the forum and my Ethernet Chord Music cable. But the Chord Electronics this time matched with B&W speakers are not my cup of tea. I find the sound to analytical and miss the emotion. But I can understand that some (like my hifi colleague) are attracted by this clean analytical sound.

They played:
See above picture, the supporting guy was as friendly to show me the song played which I couldn’t Shazam
Brett Anderson - Blessed
Alt-J - Interlude I (The ripe and the ruin), obviously the perfect type of song for this system…

8 Likes

This Moon system looks like ‘real’ domestic hifi - the kind of thing people could live with in a family sitting room. So many of the systems which you and Kuma have shown us seem to be suitable only for dedicated listening rooms, and large ones too.

3 Likes

At Canton the showed the 6000 euro A65 speakers with AVM electronics. It was clear that they avoided a bit the higher end of the tone spectrum, mid range bass and treble was good. I called in my notes ideal speakers when you need to provide music at a house party. Fun articulating treble and mid bass, and most probably also not to bad a deeper bass…… opera and piano most probably less pleasant….

They played:

Daft Punk - Fragments of Time
Tayler Swift feat. Bon Iver - Exile

1 Like

They might have played , ……
Askii - Fading Lights

As I had an empty Shazam which didn’t link to notes