The Munich “Bird” Report

As always, Bert, quality reporting of The Munich show, and I’m most grateful that you make so much effort each year to provide us with an insight to events.

I hope all goes well with your surgery, later in the week, and again, many thanks.

2 Likes

With Marten Jordan they played Eva Cassidy and Harry Belefante. The setup had a nice clean sound. But honestly I was missing a bit the edge and drive…

2 Likes

Thanks for all the interesting info, I do love looking at all the different speaker designs and equipment.

Thanks Bert for a very interesting read, take care and good luck.

ATB Graham.

Thanks for your show report Bert, I’m enjoying it. Wishing you all the best for your operation on Thursday. :+1:

1 Like

Witch Hat Audio seem to agree with you.

“Naim and Focal’s stand was downsized this year, a shame given it was the 10th anniversary of their partnership. They had a 252/300 setup which was ruined going through the Focals and sadly no Statement to be seen. Some of us actually liked the limited-edition cases but we were disappointed that these could only be purchased as a package with the speakers.”

13 Likes

I read that earlier too. Ouch.

1 Like

What a wonderful write-up @BertBird !! Thanks for the references to the music used !!
Iver

3 Likes

Thanks @BertBird, as ever great writeups and fascinating photos, it’s nice to see so many different speaker designs. As others have said, I wish you all the best for your operation on Thursday.

1 Like

Many thanks for the write up as usual Bert, great stuff!

The next one up was Cesarro. At the moment I entered the room they where playing the small horn speakers with Joy Denalane - Vier Frauen. It was as such not bad but it didn’t touch me.

6 Likes

Thanks for doing this @BertBird !

Hope my request to you (ScanSpeak ( / Troels Gravesen)) is still coming up, but a thread I’ll follow with interest regardless.

1 Like

Also a big thank you BertBird for taking your time with this with things lurking in the background and good luck for Thursday.
Allow me a few comments on the dem-albums you have listed:
The collaboration between Malia and Boris Blank is a great album, where as always Boris’ trickery, when it comes to recording quality, stands out. Particularly the 2 last tracks on this album are a test for any good system and room interaction. Particularly the thunderous drum beats on the last track and the way it emerges from a deep back ground will test if nothing else the room response and speaker extension.
As for the Fink Live album it is an equally cracking recording. The album is recorded at two different venues and it is interesting to hear ( if you are treated to it) how the reverb differs at the 2 different venue locations. Track 2 and 6 are for me great test tracks for all good things the performance holds. Both great albums :+1:t3: Thanks again and all the best Peter

9 Likes

The Magico setup was as expected very good. They had Pilium Electronics, never heard of it but as said it sounded good.
In my comments during the show I put down no stress, capable and relaxing, warm sound……, I didn’t stay long enough to audition how well it sounded in the very high end, but actually convinced that it also would perform good there……

I heard Jennifer Warnes - Famous Blue Raincoat
…and Chris Jones - Roadhouses and Automobiles

13 Likes

The Stenheim room was a special one in which I spent quite some time. On the one hand because they have not been afraid to play difficult pieces. And they where the ones having Jerome Sabbagh playing with his especially recorded band through the hifi (so he live and the band recorded).

They played first a quite raw earthy version of pictures at an exhibition of Michelle Campanella - the great gate of Kiev. And then played a recorded piece on a piano from 1890…., and in both cases a raw honest sound.

After it they switched to a mini concert of Jerome and he also explained that they also used some special recording tricks to make it as real as possible. And indeed it was enjoyable and quite coherent - while the recorded instruments obviously where a bit less vibrant then the live saxophone.

17 Likes

Great stuff! Thanks!

I forgot to post this more detailed view on the electronics in the Stenheim room, perhaps some of you are interested…

4 Likes

Then was in the B&W with typically their Classe Electronics. They played the Story of the Calendar Prince with the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra under the guidance of Herman Krebbers. It had very good dynamics, it was also clean but attractive. Normally not so into B&W but this time I enjoyed it and is was a great sound.

10 Likes

Then at Mark Levinson. They played Billie Eilish No Time To Die. Overall I found that they had some issues with the higher end which didn’t come over as I like it to be.

4 Likes

Thanks @BertBird as always thanks for the photos and insights :star_struck:

1 Like