The Naim and Harbeth thread

What about « Skylan » stands ?
Based on my own experience « something solid » is giving a bit more metallic sound (more highs…ringing effect ) and « Skylan » more in the low med area, with sometime (I have to admit) a bit to much if Harbeth setup not right

1 Like

Can’t say that’s my experience of Something Solid XF. I see them as pretty uncoloured.

1 Like

I’m not a fan of Something Solid stands. Just flick your fingers on them and they ring terribly. The build quality seems a little rough to my eyes, and sound a little bass light to my ears.

Harbeth claim their speakers are designed for any stand.

I have a pair of Custom Design SQ404 stands for my 30.1 with custom top and bottom plates to fit the speakers exactly, half filled with sand. Look great, nice build quality, no ringing and bass sounds full. Highly recommended.

3 Likes

Interesting you say that. I’ve found that Harbeths SHL5+ sound very flat and uninvolving on closed top plate support stands. Much prefer the open top XFs… and the height is perfect too. No ‘ringing’ on mine. The uprights are only 40cm tall anyway. Very very rigid.

Does that height stand get the tweeters up to your seated ear level?

“Does that height stand get the tweeters up to your seated ear level?”

yep.

Also, as the name suggests, they are solid steel, not hollow. They are heavy. But each to their own.

Thanks
Do Harbeth state that it’s best to use stands that are open framed not using a top plate?

Harberh recommandation is not cristal clear.
I bought a pair of something solid (full open frame) / Skylan, plate on top / Atacama, plate on top

In my old house Something solid and Atacama were really good, live sound. Skylan à bit more « slow »

Now in my new apartment (a lively room) Skylan is the best choice , adding flesh on the bone , more présence . Atacama was very Rock oriented and Something solid sounds « ringing » (in my room)

So as usual …room test first

Hope helps

1 Like

With the M30.1, I got good results on Skylan with an interface that looked like QBrick.

For me, the Harbeth worked better when the Bottom was elevated

1 Like

I think they say it’s down to personal preference. They have used Hifiracks stands with a solid top plate at recent hifi shows.

1 Like

I`ve got my Super HL5plus on Tonträger stands. I have read open frame should be for the best with Harbeths.

Since this picture, I have moved the speakers to the long wall, work much better.

9 Likes

Another issue with Something Solid and those Tonträger open stands is that they can easily be knocked off and damaged, or the bottom veneer of the speakers damaged.

I have a 7 year old.

2 Likes

Here’s Harbeth at Bristol 2019 on HifiRacks stands with solid top plates.

1 Like

Has any of you gone from SBL to Harbeth?

I made the opposite way, changed my M30.1 for SBL.

Today, the Harbeths miss me a little, but I’m afraid they do not compete with the Naim PRAT full Olive…

Yes, I went the opposite way to you, from SBL to 30.1.

I’ve still got the SBLs stored in case I can use them again in future (maybe a second system if domestic circumstances should permit in future). But I’m definitely happier with the Harbeths’ smoother sound.

Thank you Dave :+1:t3:

Hi Stover

Your stands are just amazing but at the cost I would not expect something different :wink: .
Honestly I have difficulties spending this amount of money on stands.

• Did you do comparison before purchasing them ?
  • Which was the competitors ?

Cheers

Agree, they are expensive, luckily it`s my own choice :grinning:. I purchased the speakers new and was offered the Tonträgers at an ok price… this was before the latest price raise. I did not compare them to anything, so competitors would be Ikea Ivar stol or some selfmade open frame.

The speakers don`t move at all on the stands when playing music. I have a dedicated listening room and my grandchild sometimes visit the room (to explore the room and to sing me a song). If they where placed in the livingroom I would have used bluetac or chose other speakers?

1 Like

Just saw this thread. I have my SHL5 for almost 10y now. Probably will keep them for another 10. From SN1 to SN2 to 252/300DR. Keep delivering music. Just love them

8 Likes

I listened to a pair of Harbeth M30.1s yesterday.
They were vastly better than my Arivas on human voice, as expected.
That makes me want to get them or Harbeths.
I was expecting them to be weaker on bass - but actually in the room where they were, on quite basic stands (black metal Target type I think?), they had a nasty bass boom effect.
Would this bass boom entirely disappear if they were properly set up in a suitable listening room?
Apart from the bass boom - which glancing at the Harbeth thread seems to be a quite common issue with Harbeths - I felt that the standmount style of speaker is not as solid as a floor stander.
I have only floorstanding speakers since I got my first hifi in 1980. When I recently spiked my Arivas thru the carpet onto the concrete floor it made a very satisfying effect of consolidating the soundframe. I worry that I would never get used to the speakers ‘wobbling’ on stands - although intellectually I understand that a well constructed stand is designed not to actually wobble very much.

1 Like