The Naim and Totem Thread

I use a single run of NACA5 from a 500 to Mani-2 Signatures. In the past I experimented with changing the supplied speaker links to NACA5 and plugging in on the top/bottom/diagonal LR/diagonal RL. I now don’t remember what I thought about each configuration but, having a quick look, I see I’m using the top sockets and the supplied links. CSN sounds great on this early Sunday morning!

I can only suggest you try the same experiment with your room & ears…

cheers

1 Like

Hi.

When I had the Wind, only a year and a half, they weren’t for the room, I had them biamplified. Now, with the K6, single wiring, in diagonal configuration (red + at the bottom & black at the top), and with Chord Sarum T jumpers (bridges). The other systems, with ProAc SM100, Tablette 10 SE and Dali Menuet, also single wired in diagonal configuration (red + at the bottom & black - at the top), but without bridges, with the original jumpers in each case.

I think replacing the original jumpers with quality bridges is a good option to improve SQ.

I think to bi-wire doesn’t make much sense outside of introducing complexity or paying double for speakers cables; and it’s worth a better quality single wire.

Different thing is to biamp; I have had several biamplified configurations, and it has always been a very significant improvement. In Naim, both the support service and the Forum, we already know that they are not very supportive; I still think that in certain conditions it can be a great choice, particularly in a system in which the SQ is already reasonable or good-very good but, either by the dimensions of the room, or for the current needs of the speakers, additional power is required, or at least this would not hurt. Personally I do not know what I will do, because the SN3 is settling nicely and every day sounds better, but the room is very large (especially the ceilings are very high) and the K6 swallow the current you give them. Let’s see how the system ends, and probably next year I’ll consider biamplification.

Cheers.

2 Likes

I’ve used Mani-2 Signatures for over a decade now and in my room they are fabulous. A full sound with bags of detail and authority.
They’re a hard load to drive and my old 250.2 struggled with them at times. The 300DR does a much better job.
I have no plans to change any time soon.
Regards,
Steve O.

Cheers. Whats the equivalent to the Mani-2 Signs in the new Totem range Steve?

I did, and it’s make a positif difference of stability + highs more fluid. Better music.

1 Like

To be honest Mike I don’t know - I just know I love them. I only learned earlier this year they were no longer produced.
If it’s any help I paid £3k for them in 2006. Maybe something around £4k - £5k will be their equivalent now.
Regards,
Steve O.

1 Like

I’m trying the plugs in the top pair. True to what Totem say, it enhances a sparkly top end.

When I first bought my Totems I was told using the top terminals gave the best treble response, the lower terminals the best bass response but the best and most balanced option was to put one wire to the top terminal and one to the bottom. They said that this configuration should be mirrored on the speakers. Like so:

Left speaker / Right speaker

X     O                                            O     X

O     X                                            X     O   

where O is the terminal you connect to.
Try it, it does work well.

Regards,
Steve O.

FYI I use TQ Ultra Black cable and TQ Ultra Black jumpers.

1 Like

Great, I just tried a diagonal setup yesterday, though same each side. I’ll give this a go. Is this left/right looking towards the speakers from the listening position? Cheers.

Ciao, I have

1 Like

Hi Andrea, what changes, if any, did you hear while using the Beaks?

Hi Mike
It’s as if you’re behind the speakers plugging the cables in.
Steve O

1 Like

I have been using them for several years … I like them because the sound is more open and above all brings the high notes towards the ceiling separating them and cleaning the sound … I also have those of the nordost, but I don’t like them …

1 Like

I noticed they made a change for the better too. What model Totem’s are you using? Mike, I recommend you seek out a pair to try with your Hawks/forests.

1 Like

I use the Totem ones like yours

1 Like

I tried the beaks but was warned beforehand they were unlikely to make much of an impression. They supposedly make less of a difference the higher up the ladder you go.

I have Hawks with my Nova and Forest Signatures with the SN2/HiCAP/NDX2/XPS DR. :sunglasses:

I think I’ll grab a pair of beaks to try out, they are cheap enough. Going to try Steve O’s speaker connection too.

1 Like

Great, that was worthwhile. Left Hawk was out of phase :thinking:, all sorted now. Sounds lovely.

1 Like

Did you try the mirrored configuration Mike?
Should really have said you can connect up to either the O’s or the X’s. My preference was the O’s.
Another tip was to use a pair of beaks on each speaker. I tried a single pair but couldn’t really hear a difference. In the end I moved them because it stopped me putting the record sleeve on top of the speaker when changing records …
Regards
Steve O

1 Like

Yes, I’m on your diagonal configuration at the moment. I found the top pairing a little too emphasised on the highs. The diagonals give more balance with a little more in the highs than the bottom pairing and I prefer a little more emphasis on the highs (but not too much). Will stick with this for a while and switch back to the bottom pairs for another comparison. My dealer had Totems too and use diagonal for a year and switch back to the bottom pair.

Thanks for the tips.