The Naim Forum Album of the Year 2023

Here are some I really enjoyed this year.

Boygenius - the record
Jess Williamson - Time Ain’t Accidental
Johanna Samuels - Bystander
Christone “Kingfish” Ingram - Live In London
Nation Of Language - Strange Disciple
Robert Finley - Black Bayou
The Third Mind - The Third Mind/2
Beirut - Hadsel

6 Likes

Jim Jones All Stars - Ain’t No Peril

I doubt this one will get a second vote but I love it. It’s great on the main rig, great in the car and great in the kitchen when cooking. So all in all, it’s just great.
If you like good old fashioned rock n roll give it a listen.

1 Like

Is that the first mention of Jess? An album I was looking forward to but found to be quite a let down after that superb Plains album.

Yes, Plains ( I Walked With You A Ways) was very good. I still enjoy Jess’s style on her solo efforts.

1 Like

Have bookmarked, will play later.

1 Like

Love it. Not often you hear such a prominent cowbell (track 1).

No need for more then.

G

2 Likes

My list here below in no particular order:

• Foo Fighters, But Here We Are
  • Susan Tedeschi, Just Won’t Burn
  • Lana Del Rey, Did you know that there’s a tunnel under Ocean Blvd
  • Galen & Paul, Can We Do Tomorrow Another Day?
  • Cowboy Junkies, Such Ferocious Beauty
  • Peter Gabriel, i/o
  • Blur, The Ballad of Darren
  • Roger Waters, Dark Side of the Moon
  • The Rolling Stones, Hackney Diamonds
  • Víkingur Ólafsson, Goldberg Variations Bach

And the winner is…

7 Likes

Rather different from anything above, I can’t recommend highly enough a 2 LP set from DGG, Yuja Wang - The Berlin Recital, with music by Rachmaninov, Scriabin, Ligeti and Prokofiev.

I saw Ms Wang in concert with the LSO earlier this year playing at the Brighton Festival.

4 Likes

Got my vote! Listening to it at the moment. A brilliant recommendation.:+1:

2 Likes

Love all the incarnations of Jim Jones …
His first outfit, The Jim Jones Revue, are just wild. Jim Jones & The Righteous Mind are a little more controlled but still fun but the All Stars are just a cut above.
Saw them at Future Yard in Birkenhead about 6 weeks ago and it was one of the most enjoyable gigs I’ve ever attended.
So glad you enjoyed the listen…

It’s a stunning album that gets better with each listen. The only flaw I can identify in it are some awkward lyrics in “this Is Home”.

1 Like

Rather different from anything above, I can’t recommend highly enough a 2 LP set from DGG- Yuja Wang - The Berlin Recital, with music by Rachmaninov, Scriabin, Ligeti and Prokofiev.

She played a great concert at the Brighton Festival earlier this year, and fell off her Pierre Louboutin 6" high heels as she was leaving the stage.

1 Like

I haven’t listened to many new albums this year, however this has to be my favourite by far:

Hiromi - Sonicwonderland

The more I listen to it, the more I enjoy it and appreciate all its nuances. Such a great album! It’s quite a departure from the Trio Project albums so you might need a bit of time to readjust your musical expecations.

5 Likes

A D. Emery moment I’m sure.

Paul Simon - Seven Psalms
Joni Mitchell - Live at Newport
Rolling Stones - Hackney Diamonds
Wilco - Cousin
Lucinda Williams - Stories from a rock and roll heart
Fleetwood Mac - Rumours Live
Sarah Willis - Mozart y Mambo La Bella Cubana
Rory Gallagher - All around man (Live in London)

And the winner is……. Paul Simon!

7 Likes

A few standouts for me…
“Strays” , and “Strays 2” by Margo Price
“Darkadelic” by The Damned (their best album for quite a while)

2 Likes

Does anybody have any more contributions that they want to make to this thread? I’m thinking about creating the poll for the album of the year so wanted to give a last opportunity to make a recommendation

3 Likes

After a fair amount of pondering, Daughter’s Stereo Mind Games is my album of the year and might be my album of the decade so far.
Runners-up include both albums by The National, the albums from Billy Nomates, Gaz Coombes and BC Camplight.

3 Likes

I have one to add @crispyduck
Bruce Soord - Luminescence
Fabulous solo album from The Pineapple Thief front man.

Riverside ID:Entity still my favourite of the year.

3 Likes