Sigur Rós - ÁTTA
Slowdive - Everything Is Alive
Lankum - False Lankum
Eluvium - [(Whirring Marvels In) Consensus Reality
Young Fathers - Heavy Heavy

3 Likes

Most of mine are reissues but this is new

3 Likes

:man_shrugging:t4:…never mind, there are plenty of 2023 albums in my list :slightly_smiling_face:
(Just removed it @Rigsby21 :wink:)

2 Likes

A little early for a thread but some commonality emerges so I’ve added these for a listen. Thanks folks. You know who you are.

1 Like

This deserves an honorable mention, if only for the name and title (but the music happens to be good too): Warrington-Runcorn New Town Development Plan - The Nation’s Most Central Location.

The critical consensus suggests it’s a retro-futurist electronic elegy for a brighter future that never happened. Sounds about right to me.

8 Likes

Might add to these but here’s a starter for ten…(in no particular order)

Olivia Rodrigo - GUTS
Cold War Kids - Cold War Kids
The Kills - New York
Bombay Bicycle Club - My Big Day
EBTG - Fuse
Nothing But Thieves - Dead Club City

3 Likes

Still pondering this but I think the list will include albums from Bar Italia, The National, Daughter, The Waeve and boygenius.

2 Likes

A look through my 2023 purchases selecting ten 5 star highlights - interesting majority are female vocals.

Gaz Coombes - Turn the Car around
Meg Baird - Furling
HC McEntire - Every Acre
Rickie Lee Jones - Pieces of Treasure
Cowboy Junkies - Such Ferocious Beauty
Jenny Lewis - Joy’All
Brigid Mae Power - Burning Your Light
Cian Nugent - She Brings Me Back To The Land Of The Living
Sara Tucek - Joan of All
Dot Allison - Consciousology

6 Likes

I’d forgotten about Gaz Coombes - great album. He deserves to be bigger with the quality of his songs

2 Likes

I agree about the Gaz Coombes album - I also forgot about it. I liked his last solo album as well, which surprised me as I wasn’t much of a Supergrass fan.

Just listened to Lankum’s False Lankum album and it’s terrific. I see it’s Uncut magazine’s album of the year and Mojo has it at number 3. Good to see an album rooted in folk music being championed in this way. If it’s allowed, I’d like to add it to my list!

5 Likes

My two would be The National - The First 2 Pages of Frankenstein

And Angie McMahons Light, Dark and Light Agian

8 Likes

3 Likes

Sparklehorse - Bird Machine

5 Likes

Closet Botanist by Rudy De Anda.

Great guitar slanted pop played in a psych-y and Latin style.

1 Like

6 Likes

This doesn’t annoy me but apps that have a case sensitive sort by artist do!

2 Likes

No outstanding album for me this year (unlike Miranda Lambert’s brilliant Palomino last year which did not even make the poll - shame on you all! :rofl:).

Have listened to lots of new stuff (quite a lot mentioned here by others but either I have no taste, didn’t listen enough or they just didn’t connect enough with me) - those that I seem to return to are as follows:-

Metric - Formentera 2
The Silencers - Silent Highway
Annie Keating - Hard Frost
OMD - Bauhaus Staircase

First 2 are favourite artists of mine so maybe that explains it - what do I know!

2 Likes