The Naim Forum Album of the Year 2023

I mentioned it on the ‘What are you listening to…’ thread when it came out. Essentially saying I thought there was a terrific album in there, I just couldn’t get over the messy production.

Maybe I will have to re-visit…I also noted there was a separate credit for mastering the Vinyl version, which I guess means that is different from the mastering for CD…

Backing that. It’s a superb album. She played some incredible shows this year. Anyone missing this is missing out

1 Like
  1. Natalie Merchant - keep your courage
  2. The Polyphonic Spree - salvage enterprise
  3. Jalen Ngonda - come around and love me
  4. Slowdive - everything is alive
  5. Roger Waters - dark side of the moon (redux)
  6. Gaz Coombes - turn the car around
  7. Public Service Broadcasting - this new noise
  8. Oracle Sisters - hydronism
  9. Craven Faults - standers
  10. Everything But The Girl - fuse
6 Likes

Suspect the messy production is just the vinyl as I’ve no issues with the Qobuz version.

Given her well documented health/vocal issues the voice is astonishing. The live shows were lovely but somewhat pedestrian given the range of music she has available to her. Having seen her over a forty year period there was something lovely about the moment you realise she’s in bare foot and then she swirls. Maybe not as exuberantly as previously, but still…

That guitarist was magnificent too.

I found it hard to make a case for the album beyond the first two tracks. It’s one paced and there are multiple songs which could have lost between one and three minutes. Great to have her back and around though.

There have been some excellent releases during 2023 but the standout for me has been The Journey by Matteo Mancuso.

2 Likes

Thanks for the wax machine recommendation. Will be buying via bandcamp and must check the others too!

2 Likes

stones bandcamp

This is no doubt the 1 for me
Red book CD HERE (via BandCamp) or or one to one copy of the studio master HERE via Sound Liaison) high res download, no matter the format, the music, the concept and the recording quality is out of this world.

“New work from Carmen Gomes Inc…this is a masterpiece…and a phenomenal experience on a refined hi-fi set. Highly recommended!" Eric De Boer, Hifi

“Engineer Frans de Rond has captured the entire setting in a way that allows you to experience the superb interplay of these seasoned musicians. This is so well recorded that turning up the volume knob significantly only seems to make the music even more intense not louder.” S.v. Aelst in ‘JazzFlits’

4 Likes

I like that one too, the Nathalie album, it feels like an album, not just bunch of songs thrown together…well done.

1 Like

I disagree about the album. The first two tracks are indeed among the best, but I certainly wouldn’t term it a one paced album. There is considerable variety, just compare ‘Narcissus’ and ‘Eye of the Storm’, for example.

1 Like

Weird choice of songs to try and make that point. What’s the distinction you’re hearing? Slight variations on sedate are still sedate and they don’t take away from my wider points about the unnecessary length etc.

Multiple reviews described it exactly as sedate or “one-paced”. If you hear different then good for you. The live show was similar. I’ve seen her on every UK tour since the first with the Maniacs. It was lovely to see her again but there was little arguing with the sedate pace of it all.

Now, back on topic, I think I’d rather hear about the choices of others for their album of the year.

In a month or two, I’ll probably feel differently but my top 10 settled down to this:

1. Westerman - An Inbuilt Fault
  2. John Cale - Mercy
  3. Jessie Ware - That! Feels Good!
  4. Caroline Polachek - Desire, I Want To Turn Into You
  5. Lankum - False Lankum
  6. Peter Gabriel - i/o
  7. Slowdive - everything is alive
  8. Christine and the Queens - Paranoia, Angels, True Love
  9. Sigur Ros - Atta
  10. Gorillaz - Cracker Island

With 11-20 being this:
11. Iggy Pop - Every Loser
12. Steve Mason - Brothers & Sisters
13. Yo La Tengo - This Stupid World
14. Teenage Fanclub - Nothing Lasts Forever
15. Woods - Perennial
16. Nabihah Iqbal - Dreamer
17. Blur - The Ballad of Darren
18. Grian Chatten - Chaos For The Fly
19. Warrington-Runcorn New Town Development Plan - The Nation’s Most Central Location
20. Everything But The Girl - Fuse

3 Likes

I must get around to listening to the Cale and the Ware and the Woods.

I’m afraid the list of suggestions obviously highlights the age demographic of this form.

It’d be nice to have some young folks put forward their picks but they’re apparently too busy being young. :grin:

4 Likes

Why such a reply? I think some disagreement is permitted. To my ears there is a huge difference between those 2 tracks.
I too have seen her perform for more than 40 years, both in the U.K. and in Canada and USA, so am very familiar with her work.

3 Likes

You literally naked two sedate tracks to illustrate that the album isn’t sedate.

Come on guys you’re both entitled to your opinion try doing it without making the other party feel their view is worthless.

Damn it’s Christmas let’s be nice to each other.

5 Likes

Totally disagree! Enough said, obviously no disagreement allowed. It’s a great album. Happy Christmas!

1 Like

John Cale is never less than interesting; this is much more than that. Jessie Ware is pure fun, and Woods have stealthily become one of my favourite American bands.

Young people? YOUNG people? What is this madness, Pete? :wink:

1 Like