The Naim NAIT 35 years on with The Naim Uniti Atom

I know Chris, but my house is only big enough for one system! It could never replace my trusty 252/300.

Stu

I never bought a Nait as I already had a Nytech CA202.

1 Like

That was a nice little amp. My favourite was the CTA252XD. Would love to find a mint example.

1 Like

When joining this new forum I checked to see when I’d bought my Naim Nait. I found the original receipt. I’d bought it in 1986 from Radford HiFi in Bristol after comparing it with an Audiolab 8000 and A&R Cambridge A60. The receipt says it cost £225, which seems quite an increase if it was £180 when launched just three years earlier. It’s been serviced just once, but I still have it in a bedroom system. It gave several years of enjoyment when it was my main amplifier.

Just shows how poor my memory is…I thought / could have sworn I paid £143 for my nait in 1984 …From Rayleigh hi-fi
I do remember it was more than my weeks money which was £93 at that time
Cannot imagine I went for two weeks without food to buy one …But I do love my hi-fi …So maybe

has anyone compared the sound of the Nait to the Atom?

1 Like

Great question. Or compare new 5si with Atom amplification.

1 Like

Inflation in those days was much, much higher

If I am not mistaken the Nait5si was created 40 years after the first nait … What do you think of the Nait5si?

Andrea, the original Naim NAIT arrived in 1983, so 36 years ago.

I have not listened extensively to the NAIT 5si so couldn’t really give an opinion on its performance. However, judging by its forebears I would expect it to be an excellent performer for the money. Have you heard it? If so, what do you think?

I have it at home for 4 years now, a nice sound … My gripe is if it’s worth now replacing it with an XS2 … I don’t know if they are similar, separate watts and power supply upgrades excluded … Let’s say pure …

There’s only one way to find out - try to get a listen of a NAIT XS2.

Already done and many times …

My first Naim amp too. From the Sound Org in London. Must have been around 1984 along with a pair of Kans. Replaced a Marantz PM 310 and some goodmans speakers I can barely recall. The step up in performance was substantial obviously. Jumped straight from there to 32.5/hc/250 and Isobarik DMS a year or two later. Wish I could have kept the Nait though. Had an Olive Nait2 a few years later after downsizing and that did many years of wonderful service. Yes, I wish I’d kept that too!

2 Likes

Also from SO, I went from a Nad to a Nait with Mordaunt Shorts. My brother still uses the Nait.

2 Likes

And another here, I went from an Akai AM2250 to a Nait courtesy of those great guys in Southwark, my only chrome bumper box.

2 Likes

Lucky man, your brother.

I recall Steve from the SO telling me how he once heard a Nait 1 driving the Isobariks in the big upstairs dem room there. It actually worked apparently. :crazy_face:

1 Like

Does anyone remember the naim active day they had in 1986,
I was blown away by it

1 Like

@52user The six pack?