The Naim New Classic range - Part 1

Could well be right Pete although Naim like to bring improvements on new products

Wise words to me from you know who - wait until get better picture down the line

2 Likes

If the 200 series is over $41k here a 300 series replacement for what I already have ($57k) will be close to $70k. Thatā€™s silly money I think especially when you consider there may be a 4th series and the 5 series replacement. These things are fast becoming out of reach for most people.

8 Likes

I agree - Iā€™ll probably get shot down here, but I would suggest your 5 box setup will outclass the 3 box new classics by a very significant margin, and so it should

The trade off is if customers want to reduce box count

Getting very pricy now to even do that

1 Like

Yep I definitely understand the reduced box count but the cost would be considerable and possibly not great value based on what I have. For me I might just ask Harry to keep any eye out for a current 300 then call it time. Iā€™ll mute all the hi fi threads delete Harryā€™s phone number cancel all my hi mag subscriptions and just listen to music. :grin:

13 Likes

Iā€™m thinking the same thing and havenā€™t even got into streaming yet ha !!

Well not the phone number though

1 Like

I completely agree and once the euphoria settles down real-world reality will return. A 222 is not a NDX2/252, no matter how you spin it. No doubt the NC250 is better than the 250 DR you would hope though.

7 Likes

I think that would be the best VFM option, by far. Indeed, for the net cost in swapping out to the yet to be announced 300 series pre and power amp, you would likely swap in a used 552 for less cost and have a better system.

2 Likes

Yeah, I wouldnā€™t be deleting phone numbers yet, You might need some advice on Naim and the alternatives might not be in the same league. My ex-Naim guy is still my go to for advice on setup, and heā€™s always happy to help.

I was being mischievous I canā€™t really delete his number itā€™d be like ghosting a friend.

2 Likes

Well one would hope so re the new classic 250

But my aging ears may not be able to pick up the improvement :crazy_face:

I have it on good authority that the current 250DR actually pumps out 85/90 watts anyway

1 Like

Iā€™m listening to it now and to my aging ears Dire Straits have never sounded so good. These marginal improvements become less relevant as you age and your hearing alters.

11 Likes

With you Pete

1 Like

Which Dire Straights Pete? Iā€™m keen to get some well recorded stuff a go.

1 Like

Love Over Gold, I havenā€™t listened to it for years and canā€™t believe how good its sounds.

4 Likes

Iā€™ve used Telegraph Road as a reference track a few times, will give it a spin (well, a stream :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:).

4 Likes

Private Investigations blew me away. :+1:

6 Likes

Love the shattering glass and cat!

3 Likes

The current 250DR tested to be capable of 92 watts

1 Like

You should have a listen to the MOFI vinyl records of those titles. Wow they sound great!

2 Likes

Iā€™m sure they do.

1 Like