The Naim New Classic range - Part 1

A comment I got from Steve on this thread was along the lines of interoperability and simplicity regards PSU’s
Clearly they want to make it easier to understand and have fewer physical products to support a given range or any upgrade overlaps between them.

From reading the various inputs from @110dB , it looks like it replaces the Supercap, XPS and 555PS for the New Classic range. Naim have rationalised their power supply voltage requirements (you don’t need the supply rail for the motor and the split rail 10v supply for the PCM1704 DACs anymore) hence the NPX300.

2 Likes

scdr 5299.00
xps dr 4499.00
hcdr 1599.00

I wonder where the 300 sits?

I definitely think making a PS that’s more compatible is a plus. There’s too many power supplies.

4 Likes

Don’t forget Naim will rebadge/rerelease the NXP TT from Solstice bundle as well. That provides a New Classic mechanics Type 1 + Type 2 PSU already.

Yes, I think the used market will be rife with possibilities over the next year, but I’m not sure that will attract new owners, more likely, owners wishing to complete ongoing Classic system builds, as it’s a bit of a minefield for the uninitiated. That’s why the Naim range needed simplifying.

The cost of the used 272 is still (just about) over the 1K price point, and wonder if it will drop below that pivotal value for money figure, especially if not serviced and a dimming screen hasn’t been replaced.

Not on my rack for the foreseeable future. :grin:

7 Likes

Both as an owner and from a manufacturing and supply chain perspective.
The factory is rather modest in footprint after all.

It just makes sense I’ve always been puzzled by the number of PS Naim have or had in their catalog. Think there’s 6 it’s way too confusing and complicated for the average punter. Also it mustn’t be cost effective for Naim either.

3 Likes

if you see comment of Richard Dane 2031 it’s not suitable for older pre amp (I assume 252 and 282) so should not substitute hicap and supercap)

Yes, that’s why I wrote

it replaces the Supercap, XPS and 555PS for the New Classic range

Hopefully, it does on mine in early March, along with a 222.
As for where the 300 sits in the hierarchy I guess between the Supercap and 555DR.

If the new 300 power amps are going to be mono blocks. How does that work with power supplies? How many boxes are we talking about?

I suppose it depends on how they split them. I wouldn’t be surprised if the New Classic 300 amps were effectively mono block New Classic 250s.

One mono amp with a built in PS (along the lines of the old 135s) per channel.

4 Likes

It does make me wonder given that the NAC 202 and NAP 200 went out of production if the New Classic NAC/NAP launch cycles may go that direction next, given the cost/complexity of anything further up the Old Classic range, namely if you’re at a 282/252 + 300/500 level system today, your bridge to NC from OC is less straightforwards, especially factoring in the new PSU consolidation approach.
The NC NAP 250 can with a suitable cable work in almost any system, the NAC’s and other accessories are harder to accommodate without costly replacement.
A New Classic equivalent of a NAC 202 (a stripped down NSC 222 essentially) + NAP 200 may prove a more modest bridge between UNITI and Supernait type systems, assuming they had some cabling/connector means to power the NAC off any new NAP that is.
It might also be nice to see a half width successor to the NAP 100 to compliment the Atom HE or perhaps a new half width NAC. That could give you a £2.5k + £2.5k two box setup, with a 60/70w NAP and very good headphone support and a decent enough preamp to run that as a reasonable main system or at least a very nice second system.

2 Likes

I wonder whether a 200 series streaming integrated at 202/200 level might make sense. A nice step up from the Uniti range without additional boxes.

1 Like

That old chestnut!!!

According to the marketing blurb, “The 272 volume control is derived from the design of the flagship Statement NAC S1 control.”
The 272 in fact uses the same volume control as the Superuniti, which predates Statement, so there must have been some serious trickle-up technology going on there.
Forget the blurb, as always, get a proper demo and judge for yourself.

4 Likes

Probably best to wait and read up on the forthcoming white paper. According to Steve S @110dB :

The volume knob is fly by wire (digitally controlled analogue)

Volume is controlled using reed relays and fixed resistors.
Expensive but has great sound quality and excellent channel balance

and…

The volume control from Statement is a big part of it’s sound. These were the deciding factors:

• Sound quality (better resistive elements in fixed resistors than potentiometers and less microphonic)
  • Long life (IIRC tested 1 million times)
  • Channel balance
  • precise app volume control
  • Volume level feedback
2 Likes

Not the CD lid on the CDS3.

3 Likes

Apart from that yes!