The Naim New Classic range - Part 1

When I was last in the factory (rebuild and addition of Phono-1) I suggested adding an SG arm to my TMS to Touraj. How view was the deck wouldn’t show the benefit and I’d be better getting a Vertere deck instead. (We did disagree about the relative merits of my TMS/Artemiz/Shiraz and the DG-1 after we listened to both through a Supernait and a PMC speakers in the listening room, so I rate the TMS higher than at least one of his current range.)

Certainly not on my shopping list. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Perhaps worthwhile for Naim to run in some boxes for dealers’ demos ahead of general release if that truly makes a difference.

Simon Matthews’ design links to the old Classic and also the Statement where the acrylic forms the bridge or barrier with the PS on one side and the electronics on the other. Both Classic and Statement were his designs. I’m sure you’ll be delighted to know that he has since moved on to work with B&W…

3 Likes

Can’t please em all Richard

If they don’t like it don’t buy it - pretty simple

10 Likes

Ways to skin the cat. My Xerxes with Vertere PSU stays whatever else.

I’m in exactly the same position. At this stage I am only envisaging getting one of the new boxes. I am hoping that the 222 will offer the most cost-effect improvement. I am finding the old fashioned steaming interface frustrating as it cuts out unpredictably(mainly with Tidal). The 555dr seems to be at least as good as the new PS(look at its huge capacitors vs the new PS) and the 250DR remains excellent. I guess time will tell. Also hopefully the new 222 will actually sound better than the 272, which no doubt it will.

2 Likes

To be honest I do sometimes think about an SG on the TMS, I’ve had the deck since 1991 or 1992, it’d be a wrench to part with it, but I am tempted by the upgraded arm.

1 Like

Is anybody out there running a 222 at present.?
If so, can you manage to select Other Settings/Remote/Motion Select. I can select Motion Select, but it will not stay permanently selected, after returning to Home Screen, then going back to Motion Select.

Perhaps @110dB can help

1 Like

I know the setting works with the App and a remote for the Nova.

1 Like

@110dB. Can you help with the following?
Can you manage to select Other Settings/Remote/Motion Select. I can select Motion Select, but it will not stay permanently selected, after returning to Home Screen, then going back to Motion Select.

Maybe more software related….you are ahead of the curve, perhaps @Stevesky can help too?

Should be ok to post a Naim link here I hope.

I settle for the Ayatollah himself, at present :blush:

1 Like

Thank you, for the help. I know my eyesight is no longer 20:20, but if I have missed it, it’s a trip to Spec Savers in the morning :blush:

1 Like

Thanks for the detailed review and confirmation of the relative performances.

I wonder if the clarity is a function of the XPS DR compared with the new NPX300? Adding the NPX300 or a CD555PS to the NDX2 would certainly lift the clarity up somewhat with the 252.

Nice to know that the top classic range still holds it own, and will be great value second hand as things evolve with the 300 range.

Based on my short listen……must be sounding pretty good despite your teething problems….one unit i listened to today had about 12 hours use….still really good….enjoy.

1 Like

I think I just put an hour on the clock !

1 Like

So many changes……the Perspex is not for good looks……but to reduce Eddy currents between each side….much like Statement.

3 Likes