The Naim New Classic range - Part 1

Yeah my Star looked pristine after more than 3 years and not so much as a scratch on either of the Atom HE devices here.

It is a dealerā€¦ā€¦ā€¦probably 15 people plus Naim etc and then an evening session. Very informative, and a glimpse of the new units and sound.

Gary, great write up thank you. Wasnā€™t the Vertere the DG which comes in at Ā£3k?

Iā€™m really disappointed with that perspex centre portion on these products. It seems to me that the top plate could easily have gone across the whole width and looked better.
That said, in some photos, itlooks better than others so will have to see in the flesh.
As a sim audio Moon owner, such a construction just seems lightweight and flimsy. My Moon 600i just seems very weighty and solid, and it seems to me Naim could learn a bit from this companyā€™s products. They also have no problem building high end integrateds and fitting them in to the system range - with fly by wire volume pots etc.
I do love my NDX2 though and would be all over a well built Naim super integrated.

4 Likes

Nopeā€¦.they said about 6k with cartridge and psu. Looked and sounded lovely.

I wouldnā€™t like to have an anaconda luring in my listening room!

3 Likes

I currently have a 2014 252 DR in store because I upgraded to a 552 and my dealer didnā€™t made me an interesting offer and because I thought I could use it for another place.

Now is the time. The new 250 is a clear partner to it. But what about a new streamer. The 222 would have a preamp section which is probably inferior to that of the 252. And thus what would be the streamer to buy.

For me the question is whether or not a new NDX2-like separate streamer is coming.

I am in no hurry though.

1 Like

If no hurry on the steamer I would chill.

2 Likes

Exactly my POV.

1 Like

There is a risk that the cables upgrade the listener every now and then.

Iā€™m sure a ā€œnew classic NDX2ā€ is due to keep hierarchy intact. Whilst Naim, Iā€™m sure would not confirm, it feels like this:
NDX2
222 + 300
NDX2 + XPS DR
NDX2 + 300
NDX2 + 555
Iā€™m off for a listen to new classic tomorrow so will have better idea then.

9 Likes

Iā€™ll go for a listen on Sunday. I look forward to it.

Concerning the hierarchy, your proposal looks very plausible.

1 Like

Naim certainly seem content with the digital architecture they established around the NP800 including DAC chip choices, so a New Classic enclosure NDX2 isnā€™t a massive leap of faith, making most sense once any new dedicated analogue preamps materialise.
Iā€™m sure most folks that currently have one will be content keeping hold of it for the foreseeable.

3 Likes

Yes can see an NDX3, NC 282/252 and 200 PSU but not sure of NSC 322 would muddy hierarchy and compromises separates philosophy.
Sorry the ā€œconfirmā€ bit relates to current hierarchy not that more is to come thatā€™s up there with water is wetā€¦ā€¦

1 Like

Oh because I thought Alasdair was going to use the DG which I thought about Ā£3.5k but just seen with a reved up PSU yep nearer Ā£6k!

1 Like

I looked behind and some large cable supplying a psu, nice interconnects etc, Ā£800 mm cartridgeā€¦.but not an area i know much aboutā€¦ā€¦.except it sounded, very good indeed.

I fancy the SG tonearm for the Xerxes!

1 Like

I would fancy the whole TT etcā€¦ā€¦but after having a listen to Solstice, i decided that going back to TT was not for me. I find the surface noise irritating, prefer to switch at a press of a button between tracksā€¦.getting oldšŸ˜‚

5 Likes

This is my point, it would look more seamless, be a small nod to the past too. It must be more expensive to make and looks like 3 boxes pushed together. Totally compromised venture capital written all over it. No boast, but i could buy ANY Naim product tomorrow, Naim was peak olive. IMO. Iā€™m sticking with it.

1 Like

Ooff that large volume knob is even uglier when itā€™s not litā€¦.
afbeelding

2 Likes