The Naim New Classic range - Part 1

HI @marksnaim,

To my knowledge no we haven’t.

I don’t anticipate any additional complex load on the SNAXO output buffers.
The legacy lead will ground the ‘cold input’ of the new 250 and the ‘hot’ input Z is similar.

4 Likes

Yet!

2 Likes

The 252 board is split to an extent but on the same level. There is a big similarity superficially to the 282. The 52 has two completely separate boards stacked. I can’t help feeling that there are some historical compromises in the architecture of the 252 that could be addressed in the new series.

2 Likes

Yes, I meant with the 222 although I understand the appeal of sticking with the all new classic.

Thanks.

If it’s typical Naim, they take 3-4 weeks than have another nice uplift 5-6 months later.

My 252 that was serviced/recapped/newalps in June of this year sounded great after 4 weeks than blossomed a few weeks ago.

1 Like

Yeah, the 252 seemed to miss the mark in the range. In retrospect I should’ve went with the 52/SC from 72/HC instead of jumping to the black boxes first.

1 Like

You’re kidding of course :flushed:

1 Like

Not at all. It sounds like it’s a much better amp with the DR ps and amp.

Thank you for this insight @110dB. Any concerns with using a new 250 with prior 250DR in “wonky” fashion on a 242?

1 Like

John emailed me and said they were expecting the New Classic 250 on Wednesday. If they have the classic cables I’m hoping to home demo it Friday.

2 Likes

That’s typical Naim break-in. Sounds good right off the bat then a few days later you think “what have I done” then it keeps changing the next week or so, sometimes bright sometimes bass heavy then settles in to sounding great again and you’re thinking “oh, yeah” then 4-5 months later it opens up even more and you’re like “ahhhh!”

4 Likes

The 4/5 months “additional spurt” is also a bit of a mystery to me as to how this can be explained but is definitely a factor. I certainly noticed this with the Nova/250 that preceded the new kit.

2 Likes

I’m not smart enough to figure out the logic of it. I just know it’s there and the further you go up the range the bigger it is.

1 Like

My Dynaudio Confidence C2 Platinum speakers took about 400 hrs of play time before they settled down and opened up. The four Esotar2 tweeters were especially bonkers during that run-in period. I’ve now had them over 4 yrs and don’t feel like I ever want to make a change to them.

2 Likes

It’s not surprising. Each component runs in at different rates so as you progress, the output result won’t be linear improvement.

…are thinking about just replacing your 250 DR with the NAP 250 (2023) power amplifier?

1 Like

I’m going to home demo the new 250. Thought about a 300DR but used ones are very rare here and I really don’t want 9 boxes. Plus I’d need to add another level to one of the racks.

6 Likes

I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the NAP 250 (2023).

The only two items besides the Power Amp are the (Left & Right) Channel, 4 pin DIN to XLR between the SuperCap and NAP 250 (2023) if I am reading the Compatibility & Cable Information Guide correctly.

I have read the specification sheet for the 222, and I am somewhat disappointed. Naim states that it will support DSD128, in fact the specification states " DoP 64Fs" on the input stage, which is not true DSD, but DSD64 over PCM with a clever play on numbers. A search engine is your friend for more information. Still, if my Naim dealer permits, I will take my DSD DAC and Roon NUC, and ask for a comparison. I’ll take my own network switch and cables because I am sure the last thing he will want is Roon infecting his system.

I should have the cash in a couple of months for the upgrade, I will also see if I get an upgrade on the MM stage too, over the stageline, otherwise maybe a replacement bathroom or kitchen.

I am enjoying listening to Pharoah Saunders Anthology at the moment in DSD256, upsampled CD RIP via dBpoweramp, and stored on an SSD drive, with triplicate backup on mechanical drives, one is off site.

Here’s to wishing that I will enjoy a refreshed sound, with more PRaT, but my breath is not been held.

2 Likes