The Naim New Classic range - Part 1

About 2/3 the price! Still impressive if it gave a good account of itself.

2 Likes

I saw it as Bartok (using it’s internal pre) so £15,750 today vs 222/npx300 combined at £11,400. So still a good outcome. Bartok is about to get Apex and a price hike to £19,000 though. Can get an ex demo Bartok for £12,250 so that’s what I really had in mind (and that’s for the headphone edition).

Hold your horses - the jury is still out on this one.
It seems a Canadian dealer has made this claim to two of his customers - however the mothership is denying this.
TBC

1 Like

Hold your horses :joy: I like that. Have a look at Guildford Audio’s website.

Nice! Be interested to see how they compare. I look forward to the update!

A DCS + Nagra setup I’d be content with.

I just did. Guilford mentions APEX however they then link to dCS’s website where no APEX is mentioned.

Best
Gregg

PS - I purchased my Bartok HA for $15,000 when released (approximately 12,500 gap). The new speculated price of 21,500 gbp is almost double in 2 1/2 years.
INSANE!

1 Like

Getting this thread back on track a bit

@Mike_S

The 3 new classic components just released total approx $41k here in Australia

If one takes a stab for price increase on the nac n272 to bring it up to todays prices and add current prices for XPSDR and NAP250DR , brings up a total of approx $27k

So that’s a 50% increase for new gear over old gear

That’s a big call - yes some sonic improvements potentially but that’s a huge increase

13 Likes

Spot on Bevo either it confirms my belief that the old 272 was a bargain or the new 222 is significantly better. Either way it’s a huge price increase for all 3 items.

4 Likes

I have it on good authority ( and from no one in Australia I might add ) that the 222 is on a level akin to the nd5xs2 and nac 282

3 Likes

And I might add - this is only the start

2 Likes

Those prices are eyepopping. 1 to 1 exchange to GBP is $30k AUD comparing to what I would drop at my local UK dealer.
I can see the hesitancy to jump on the 200 train in other parts of the globe!
So you’re effectlvely paying a penalty equivalent to £6k+ just to buy it there.

1 Like

Part of the increase relates to a relatively weak Aussie dollar against the US dollar and our leader has previously advised the prices are pitched at US exchange rates or something like that

However it works it’s pretty frightening I must say

2 Likes

Yes correct Mr.M

1 Like

You can only imagine what the cost would be to trade my 252/250/NDX2 on the equivalent 300 series. Imo it’s an own goal and they’re priced themselves out of this market. I’d be panicking if I was the local distributor.

10 Likes

Not to mention the retailers !!

6 Likes

True, can’t see Harry dancing in the isles they were a hard sell already now they’ll be almost impossible. I love my stuff but can’t see me spending that kind of money without the feeling of being ripped off, there’s probably lots of better value options from other brands. Sad.

5 Likes

Pete, you just have to get your butt in gear and start cranking out some more art work!

Just raise the price of your work the same % rate as the Naim gear and you will have that 300 series at home in no time at all. Maybe start up one of those home studio training programs as well for all the local town folks.

Where there is a will there is a way… good luck!

4 Likes

All that is in motion (although some my have to wait till we build) but even that’s not going to help. These price increases imo don’t add up to reasonable value and tbh I think they’re a bit disingenuous. Time will tell though hopefully I’m proved wrong.

6 Likes

Having placed my order I can only hope this is progress im sure all the other manufacturers will follow in naim’s footsteps producing improvements that inevitably cost more.
now its late for me to debate I’ve got a Nova nap and some speakers to sell in the morning :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: