The Naim New Classic range - Part 1

It doesn’t read that way FZ

When I visited I couldn’t believe the layout it was simply amazing never seen anything like it

Not to mention the warm welcome I received

I guess as some of the older products cease it will free up a bit of space

1 Like

Before anyone gets paranoid about that decimated thread, I thought it might be helpful to point out the Richard, probably meant to write “dedicated”!

2 Likes

Lol! Dratted auto-correct, but quite funny all the same… Thanks Michael!

4 Likes

Richard I did mean it wasn’t rushed, I was being a little ironic in how I phrased it. Sorry for the confusion and you can delete it if you feel I’ve crossed a line.

2 Likes

I just found it quite shocking that another market like Australia has such a significant price delta, the fact I can buy a spare NAP 250 and have change from a spa weekend away for the equivalent spend is a big difference.
I think the manufacturing debate is important and relevant moving forwards. My understanding (don’t read as fact) is Vervent Group account 80% of their revenue from non domestic markets. That must be particularly important as you go higher up the tiers of product ranges where by the time you get to 500 Series and above you’re essentially building to order and with minimal buffer stock of finished goods.
By the time you get to Uniti and certainly muso ranges there’s plenty of reseller inventory sat in the supply chain.
If Naim and their PE owners intend to expand to specific target markets like North America or APAC you’d anticipate a need to restructure supply chain accordingly to maintain availability and remain price competitive relative to the market as a whole.
This is only the very early cycles of an introduction to a new product range and rationalisation of existing products and likely to extend over the next 5-10 years from a productisation/realisation perspective and optimising supply chain efficiencies.
Naim and to an extent Focal have gone to great lengths in recent years to refresh their image and position themselves as a desirable and aspirational lifestyle brand (I’m thinking DS Formula E branded speakers as one example).
I see this 50th Anniversary year for Naim as being a lot about closing one chapter and opening a new one with a clean sheet of paper and the windows wound down (Focal speakers in car, of course).
I don’t imagine the precept of affordable luxury is taking pride of place on the marketing departments theme board.

2 Likes

The price of the new 200 series here (Aus) is $13,500 the cheapest car on the road is approximately $18,500.

Could have been worse - could have come out as ‘desiccated’

1 Like

Correction, one component of the 200 series is $13,500

Not the series - might get the wrong impression Pete

1 Like

After a great audition yesterday, and pondering long and hard about the various options, the deal is done. NSC222 and NPX300 incoming. Will be run with a NAP300DR through Kudos Titan 606s. I’ll have a listen to the New 300 monos as and when they become available :slightly_smiling_face:

10 Likes

I’m waiting for my new NSC222 and NAP250 next week in change to NAC-N272 and NAP250DR. I have used XP5XS as a power supply for my 272.

At this point I am not able to buy a new power supply NPX300, it might the way to go in some other time later.

My question is: am I able to connect my existing XP5XS to the new NSC222? Does it go with my recent burndy? And if that is possible, can I wait for any musical improvement in driving PMC Fact 12, compared in using NSC222 with its internal power supply?

No, wait and save for a NPX 300, the NSC 222 works with its internal power supply no issue.

1 Like

:astonished: :thinking:

This is just speculation, I think…?

4 Likes

The XPS2/DR and 555PS can be used on the NSC222, so it may well be that the XP5XS can be used too (with the new special Burndy), although whether it will be a worthwhile upgrade over the internal supply, I don’t know. Probably best for Naim or @110dB to confirm or otherwise here.

3 Likes

Yes, (cough, cough) speculation :wink:

1 Like

I like the idea though… But I think a revised NAP300, much as it is today, but in ‘new clothes’ and with the Balanced XLR inputs, is… IMO… a bit more likely… :neutral_face:

I’m speculating (very strongly) that they’re monos

3 Likes

Yes, that’s what I meant the 222 250 and 300 are all $13,500 each. I didn’t combined as the the cost of an average car at $40,500

1 Like

Yes more the point of is the cost/benefit sensible given you’d need at a minimum a Y Burndy.

The NSC 222 has a 5V rail on the Type 3 connector, same other end on the NPX 300. That’s not present on any of the Old Classic PSU’s so not sure what that’s handling and what the impact is when not powered?
Seems like more hassle than benefit to me at least :blush:

Be rude not to really wouldn’t it…