The Naim New Classic range - Part 1

Did that need one of those special expensive cables?

It is a Y cable that was around Ā£200. In the world of cables I do not believe it is expensive.

1 Like

Or for those in Australia, only $1800 AUD.

1 Like

Is someone flying it down personally on Qantas?

At the street prices down there, I could pop to Audio T, stock up and deliver it in person flying First Class :ok_hand:t2: and still have change for a XXXX.

6 Likes

Once you add Customs somewhere in your sentence, those xā€™s at the end of it have already disappeared.

Hi! Was at local dealer yesterday for a arranged demo. Neat orkestra was used. We started with Nova, and the compared to Atom He and new 250. All very good, but more clarity and calm with the latter. After that we listened to nsc222 and new nap 250. Once again a step up. And finally npx300 was connected and we did a comparison with and without it. Once again a step up with the 300 connected. All of them sounded very good!

In my opinion not necessarily more rockin with every step up but definitely more precise sound, tighter, clearer vocals and so on with every step up. Pure fun!

Iā€™m still happy with my SN2 and nd5xs2 but I do want to upgrade in the future. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I originally had a 272, XPS DR which evolved to 555 DR, 300 DR and PMC Twenty5 26. Previous to all that I had ATC CDA2, P1 and SCM40 mk2 passives. When I started to hear that Naim would replace the 272, I decided the direction I wanted to go. I had experience of the new software, with the wifeā€™s Nova. So, I have really gambled by going blind, but had a bit of an idea how the individual components might sound, from past experience.

3 Likes

So, now we are back home again and listening once more tonhe tracks demoed with the NC kit. Of course it is my room and my speakers so objectivity difficult.

Hell, the 272/XPS DR/250 DR is classy. Given the number of 222s sold along with NC250 and NPX300 boxes there is going to be a feast available on the second user market.

Having said that, what my ears heard with the NC series was a definite step change. The music definitely had more presence with the 222/250 both with and without NPX300. Pleasure and penury both begin with Pā€¦ā€¦

6 Likes

@Crispy appreciate the input. I pick up my NC250 this weekend. What 4pin DIN to XLRā€™s are you using from your SCDR to the NC250?

*edit I see now you used a Y connector. I will be trying a pair of 4pin din to balanced XLR from Designacable.

Mine is the `Naim cable that dealer arranged.

ā€œAt least 282 level and at least equal to an NDX2ā€ according to my dealer yesterday, with their kit now 10 days in. They love it.

3 Likes

I canā€™t see it being on par with the NDX2 more likely the ND5XS2 although I havenā€™t heard it. Most dealers do tend to fudge the lines.

10 Likes

Please report back! Your experience v closely aligns with mine, with the added complication that my kit is in our living room and I want my family to use it. They didnā€™t go near my old classic system (282, 250DR, NDX, CDX2 etc) it scared the heck out of them. The Nova fixed that beautifully and with the same functionality and user friendliness coming in the 222 Iā€™ve taken the plunge also. Enjoy!

3 Likes

They have no reason to. Iā€™ve known them a long time and Iā€™ve already ordered the 222/250. Whatever it compares to, theyā€™re mightily impressed with it. Why do you doubt its credentials?

3 Likes

Iā€™m sure itā€™s impressive Iā€™ve not heard any Naim gear that wasnā€™t. Guess Iā€™m trying to figure out where the 222 sits within a new line up. If it wasnā€™t for the price Iā€™d consider swapping my stuff for a classy 3 box set up.

I have it on good authority ( and not from anyone in Australia I might add ) that the 222 preamp streamer SQ is on par with the 282 and ND5XS2

And I reckon thatā€™s probably spot on

Thatā€™s pretty good methinks , but unfortunately not for the price here downunder

3 Likes

Itā€™s not going to hold a candle to your set up Pete. Itā€™s a new product, and undoubtedly a very good one, itā€™s a Naim. But it isnā€™t at your level. You would be throwing away a good investment and loose money for a lesser sound quality. Perspective matters.

Dealers have to promote what they sell. My one now sells Linn in place of Naim and told be the Klimak DSM was at a ND555/552 level. I didnā€™t think it matched my NDX2/555PS/252.

10 Likes

Must be a Kiwi then :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::+1:

1 Like

That would be my understanding of course people will hear and believe what they want.

3 Likes