The Naim New Classic range - Part 1

And that is why I grabbed the 552 and 300 when they came up second hand, to lock in that end game system.

5 Likes

Donā€™t forget youā€™re already in a much nicer place with your system than many will ever have the pleasure to own themselves!

5 Likes

Smart fella you are :+1:

2 Likes

Today in NZ, you can buy a new NAP300 on sale for $13K, or a new NC 250 for $15Kā€¦

Bloody hell - weird Mike

1 Like

Sorry, NAP300 on sale at $13K.

Might add in Aus

Today NAP250DR now $6,200 approx

New Classic NAP $13,500

Sorry I donā€™t get it

1 Like

Would be an interesting comparison thoughā€¦

Really, that could almost be a loss for them.

Called a fire sale mate

1 Like

True I just think that Naim and our new distributor have conspired (probably unwillingly) to ruin the way it worked here before. I believe Naim insisted they take more stock than was realistically possible to move which now they seem to have to discount to get rid of. That plus what I believe is unrealistic prices for the new 200 series have created a very uncompetitive market. I feel itā€™s all based on greed and probably a result of Naims master wanting more and more for their return.

8 Likes

Super Cap, XPS DR are all now discounted. The 300 is now $12,500 it was $19,000.

Are these items now slashed in other markets.

If I had a 282/NDX2 level system already I would not be thinking about changing at the moment, I would wait 3 to 6 months at least. Partly to give time for classic range gear prices to move back to a sensible level. The other reason is that I would like to hear the 222 with or without the 300 once it is fully run in, it is only then that we will be able to decide where it fits in SQ-wise. However, for people like me who have been waiting for a 272 replacement to upgrade to it is a different matter I believe. Hence my order is in and my savings account weeping, especially as I have decided to upgrade my LP12 at the same time.

5 Likes

I have added a NAP250NC to my Atom HE. As a former 250DR owner (twice actually), for me its very clear that NC represent the Naim sound, but something very different at the same time. The first thing that hits me, its so clean and articulate and bring music directly to me. Theres no hint of listening fatigue so far, even when I play loud. It has really put me on playing music. I suspect lower noisefloor could be the key here?
My listening experience is limited to NAP250 though

I agree to others here, thinking the NC will bring in discussions and comparisons to older series. To me, I like the way my 250 handles music :blush:

3 Likes

Maybe thats what people hearing?, indeed those who believe a 222 equal NDX2/282.

I always take dealers seller view with a pitch of salt

1 Like

After a wonderful listening session with my ever patient and knowledgeable dealer, I just ordered the NC 250 to go with my Nova. I also listened to the 222 with the 250. Give me a few months, then that will be the next purchase.

Extremely impressed (and excited).

2 Likes

Thatā€™s not what Iā€™m hearing here from folks whoā€™ve demoed the kit. I have multiple observations dealer and customer that place the three boxes well above NDX2/282. I havenā€™t demoed them yet and will likely wait for a bit. No hurry here.

1 Like

Nah, my boxes are better than your boxes. :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

7 Likes

Well, this is what I hear/ observed at my home, in my setup, Iā€™m not a dealer, but I do love Naim whatever series involved. Every new series from Naim have represented changes and they have made contradictions?
Go and have a listen for yourself?

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been following this thread from the start with interest. If one thing is true to me in relation to Hifi is the placebo effect of new kit or changing / upgrading a cable or a new box . The sound becomes different, sometimes in quite a large way and sometimes hardly noticeableā€¦but better depends on a lot. Iā€™ve not heard the new kit but I have spoken to a lot of the dealers and all of them say itā€™s good but different sounding, better to some different to others and some prefer the older kit/sound. I originally started out with a Novaā€¦.sounded good but quickly got the bug and added a 250dr. Slightly better but not night and day. Would go louder and slightly more dynamic but the speakers at the time were an easy load so probably didnā€™t need it. Then went to a 300dr, again slightly better/different more controlled and polished sound but again not night and day. Moved out the nova to a second system and added a 252 and SuperCapDR, NDX2,XPSDR. Speaker change to Sopra 2. System sounded great but again the law of diminishing returns set inā€¦better yes but so it should be. Iā€™m now at 552dr and added 555 to the NDX2. Change of speakers to Kudos 808s. I tried the nova again I canā€™t remember it ever sounding so goodā€¦obviously not at the main system level but nice. My point is at every step of change up the ladder there is a benefit in sound quality but rarely is it as much as you think it will be. different maybe better treble or brighter presentation, better bass maybe or midrange. If we then factor in different cabling, rooms, speakers, mains quality, etc etc then the outcomes are endless even with the same kit. I do plan on listening to the new classic kit thatā€™s here and any upcoming stuff, but after 30 plus years of playing the Hifi game and a lot of different systems is I asked myself honestly if I enjoyed any of my previous systems any less then the answer would be no. They all sounded different but good in there own way. So enjoy what you have as better is quite often just different.

47 Likes