The Naim New Classic range - Part 1

You wanna move the AV amp for sure :rofl:

2 Likes

I’ve yet to see any pics of the 222 with a turntable connected and reviews of the inbuilt MM stage…

Any takers?

Sometimes practicality rules. Both of our systems are integrated into AV systems and drive front L&R (SuperUniti in lounge) and all 5 speakers (SN3/NAP V175) in the back room. All works well without (in my opinion) compromising 2 channel stereo when that is what is required.

1 Like

I have run it with my solstice, but not through the built in phono obviously. Sounded really good😁

First step NPX 300
Second step 250

2 Likes

I spent a good amount of time listening to vinyl with the 222 a couple days last week—it’s really good. New Transcriptors Reference with Origin Live onyx 10” arm, Supex MC, Ortophon active MC step up into the 222’s MM phono stage. Very nice.

6 Likes

Absolutely, I have a TV in between my speakers and an AV amp connected up to my main speakers. We do what we must. I have kept my AV amp in a separate cabinet as I prefer all my hifi gear on the Fraim racks. Absolutely nothing wrong with putting it with the Naim stuff. It’s just those three boxes look so good together. Ultimately it’s what it sounds like and practicality must overide looks at times!

2 Likes

You could be right as I have not heard or seen the 222. I know it’ll be good but my opinion is based on how Naim will position the 200 series.

Nice enjoy your new system. I remember splashing out on mine in 2004. I would certainly be interested to hear the new stuff but if I had the cash to burn I would go towards Top Auralic, EAR and living voice OBX

Thank you for your answer. Just to be clear, does that mean it needs a new kind of burndy? I can’t use the burndy which I have used with NAP-N272 with my XP5XS? It would be nice to try how it sounds with my new 222 and 250 combo.

As do I, the surround sound is as important to me as the stereo. Really pleased to hear that that the new units have av bypass.

Mark

Pete from your comments above, and @Bevo, I think there will be a lot of folks who give a listen to the new and stay with what they have. …and we know right now that the legacy system sound is awesome! I think a lot of people would be quite happy with a 252/SC DR, 250 DR, NDX2/XPS DR system.

I was thinking about keeping my NDX 2 and 282 and possibly start with the new 250 power amp and then possibly replace my XPS DR with the NPX 300 PS. Then maybe see if a higher 300 level streamer/preamp is released some time later this year or next, Right now in the US you have to buy all of the boxes to make it work. The connecting cables to legacy products will not be available for a couple of more months. So you have to buy custom made or 3rd party cables/connectors.

First world problems but and I know my existing system is sounding sublime!

So for now my dealer has a system in place and will drop by for a listen hopefully next week.

Life is sweet…

9 Likes

That was simple ignorance and superstition. Science proved that this isn’t the case.

4 Likes

Maybe the time to update that FAQ to be more specific?

5 Likes

I wasn’t going post on this thread anymore as I don’t want to rain in someone’s parade. I know the new stuff will be great and I also know my current system is fantastic. I have no intention to trade in anything right now.

My main concern is in my 28 years of being a Naim customer I never seen my stuff so devalued so quickly. A disgruntled party told me over 3 years ago about what would happen and it has. Naim and the local distributor have greedily made it almost impossible to upgrade.

6 Likes

@Pete_the_painter

Not so sweet here down under seakayaker with the eye watering retail prices for the new classics gear and this is only the start

I’m about to start on the streaming path so it’s an interesting one for me on a pathway through

But I’m not prepared to take a bath on the now heavily discounted prices just announced here by the distributor on my 252/SCDR/250DR. Those are keepers for me and sound fantastic .

The key for me is a higher spec preamp/ streamer than the 222 but that’s for the future

But as you say life is still sweet

Cheers

4 Likes

Well yes, but what you have still sounds as good as it ever did. You paid for it what you thought it was worth at the time. Also you still have the option for a couple of upgrades via the second hand market, which may now be a bit cheaper.

1 Like

The current discounting shows how little the new distributor knows their market. Naim have always done well out of existing customers upgrading and them introducing new clients. The fire sale of the classics shows me 2 things one is they’ve had too much stock and haven’t been able to shift it and secondly how much margin they’re been making. Whatever the reasoning when your gear doesn’t devalue quickly you able to trade in and upgrade however now we’ve been wacky twice. Falling prices for gear and stupid prices for replacing them they’ve shot their support base. Naim has only ever been a boutique brand here I feel it’ll now be less than that. Very sad a I hope someone in management is reading these posts.

8 Likes

How does supporting the second hand market help me my dealer or Naim. It’s like buying CDs from an op shop the artist doesn’t get the money.

1 Like

Thanks for introducing me to Taylor Swift and Justin Vernon duet ‘Exile’. Ditto Daft Punk’s Touch.

There are quite a few versions of Exile so not sure which one you are listening to. I think the last two in the photo are the same. Not sure about the birds although the last two have some strange low sounds quite early on before Taylor Swift, the female backing singers and others join in. Justin Vernon has a wonderful voice. It’s a beautiful duet.

Phil

1 Like