The Naim New Classic range - Part 1

I had a chance to listen to the 222/250 combo today powering a nice pair of Graham Chartwell LS6’s. My overall impression was very good. Lot’s of classic Naim boogie + resolution + deep controlled bass. Played a few records on a Transcriptor turntable, the MM phono preamp was also great sounding.

An outstanding 2 box streaming amp with phono… what’s not to like? And I think the new cases look great, especially on the wood bench. I’m sure the NPX300 would take it to another level, but I enjoyed everything I heard.

21 Likes

Well there will be a number of people now selling their 272/202/SNx etc to raise funds to buy a new NSC222, so indirectly you might be. Part of my NDX2 purchase came from selling my ND5 XS2.

1 Like

There seems to be a lot of overreacting to an imminent devaluation of old classic gear that I’m not seeing in the actual retail figures. It’s not much different than when the old classic gear was launched when most were sitting on some expensive olive boxes. It’s the nature of things and you can’t blame Naim for updating their product line as the old classic kit is long in the tooth. I’m more optimistic now than I’ve been in years b/c I finally have the option of improving the sound of my current system without having to accumulate a stack of expensive boxes again.

6 Likes

$7ks off a new 300 is considerably discount imo.

The prices don’t seem so bad to me considering all are improved on the originals and prices have been trending up for a while now.

1 Like

Forgive me, but doesn’t that therefore mean that the New Classic has actually given you a cheap upgrade option for your current 250DR to a new 300?

2 Likes

300DR s/h has been inexpensive here for a while now and I may go that route before I dive into the new classic kit depending on trade in values offered by my dealer.

Glad you like it. The birds can be heard at 0:23.

1 Like

If my trade now worth less and the new products price has increased how does that make it easier/cheaper to upgrade. The gap now has increased sorry you’ve lost me I am talking about the new classic gear.

The fact that new kit is more expensive will surely mean, after the initial drop of old Classic prices, 2nd hand prices will move up again.
I don’t remember paying more than £2000 for my Olive NAP250 but would probably get more than that if sold now.
I’m sure initially “old” Olive took a hit when the “new” Classsic came out.

Of course the jury is out on this but I cant see anyone upgrading a 252/NDX2 setup to the currently available New Classic, so in your case the only upgrade available is the old Classic, which might be a NAP300DR as an example.

So if the new NAP 300DR is $7ks cheaper as you say, then presumably the cost difference between your NAP250DR and an upgraded new NAP300DR has presumably reduced. So buying a new NAP300 gives you an upgrade and helps your dealer.

If you only want to upgrade to the new classic (which I must say does have some nice features) then presumably you will have to wait until they release/develop a NAC252 replacement (possibly a NAC352). But that could be many months or even years away, and who knows where any of us will be then.

I’m just hoping here to put a positive spin on things for you and help you to consider that there are options. The way I look at it, is that it doesn’t really matter what my system is worth, as I would only sell it for an upgrade, and therefore it only matters what the upgrade costs are. I suppose it might matter what it’s worth when I drop dead, but then I wont care :smile:

1 Like

All of the above is true and I do agree my only concern is to see our current gear devalued at such an alarming rate and the reasons for it. There hasn’t been such a dramatic lowering of the classic stuff in the UK (if there has please set me right) it’s a local issue.

1 Like

It’s hard to say, as I noticed the same last year that for a month either side of Christmas, Naim equipment is scarce, and prices go up, then settle down around Feb when more kit seems to be available.

Stock is plentiful here, that’s the problem the new distributors took more than they could move, while you guys were waiting months for a NDX2 I got one in a week. So it’s not a seasonal thing it’s more than that.

Think it’s probably better we stop here as you’ve not read my earlier posts.

1 Like

Let’s see how this goes…

12 Likes

Truth be told.

We are all suckers because retail value of current classic going down dramatically while new classic has had incredible price increase = A gap normal salaries and savings don’t bridge easily or perhaps never considering other life priorities.

In EU market where I live there have been 4 price hikes in 13 months, and thats the old gear I am talking about. On top of that we now have the space launch of the new Classic. Comparing the list price of for example NAP 250 DR to new NAP 250 is over 30% increase but now the old has dropped 20% as well. Ouch.

Add injury to insult is the Naim approach to not release information about new separate pre and streamer which many of us need to make an informed decison weather or not to upgrade now or wait.

And as stated it’s not just about if we should upgrade sound wise or not, as the entry level is now at another price level one can only imagine what the new NDX3 and PRE separates will be priced at.

In my opinion Naim have overreached by a mile here and I feel we as a community need to stop making excuses for it in every other reply on this thread and put the rightful demands and expectations to Naim as paying customers with brains and options.

Naim new pricing strategy as follows:

UK = Expensive
Rest of Europe = Very Expensive
Rest of World = Outrageous

Sorry for the rant, but I love Naim and thats why I am feeling this way plus to many yes men showering enthusiastic comments about how affordable, competitive, incredible entry level deal is. It might for sure give the Executives the wrong idea? That the heard is ready to fork out whatever, I am telling Naim Management and Distributors right now - we are not!

Now, let me tell you how I really feel :slight_smile:

Cheers everyone

27 Likes

I don’t think I’d worry too much Pete the same thing happens all the time ……
Naim Dac was one when it was D/C they sold cheap as chips now they are back in demand and the used prices are going up
135’s did the same thing
82 - 52 pre amps as well
So the value may go down a bit of first then it will bounce back
Even look at 72 pre , Naits etc

2 Likes

Funny you mention the Naim Dac. I saw one here in the States selling for more money than I bought mine when it was discounted.(bought 2nd hand). I have an appreciating asset lol (I really do appreciate it :smile: )

1 Like

Just picked mine up. Great packaging. Just a warning the sides are very sharp so it’s best to pick up and move with your hands on the front and back and not the sides.

16 Likes

Interesting the power cord they supply now