The Naim New Classic range - Part 1

Here in the US we always get the crap cable. Powerline lites come in the UK

2 Likes

I realize that the Uk and NA get different ones but looks like they have changed them again in the NA market

1 Like

Do you have the cables yet Nick?

At first glance it looked like the Tibia that came with my other gear. I have powerlines so I never take them out of the box lol

I ordered some Designacable 4pin to XLR’s to tide me over until the Naim ones are available. I wanted to do it asap before the value of my 250DR dropped.

3 Likes

Quick update on the NC250. It didn’t take long to hear it’s a big upgrade over the 250DR. More fleet of foot, much lower noise floor and the goosebumps are hitting already. This is with cheap Designacables as well. Looking forward to trying the Naim Legacy cables when they are available.

8 Likes

I was loving that system with the LS5/8s a couple days ago…big sound!

3 Likes

Doesn’t seem Naim have supplied the 14 gauge Tibia in the US for a while unfortunately. They were pretty good cables.

1 Like

Gig Harbor Audio?

3 Likes

Yep

2 Likes

Yes, already mentioned that this will be revisited at some point.

Wonder what will be the result with ATC SCM50ASLT …

Maybe the future 300 streaming preamp is the best for active ATC 50s?

They sound already very good with the 272/XPS

1 Like

After a few weeks reflecting on the upgrade potential from Unity range…

NAP 250 is a good power increase, think this would suit the majority of speaker power requirements. Slightly strange to promote the new passive cooling and then adding in a fan :rofl: but this would be the logical first step into serious HiFi.

However, the performance and price are too high for anyone looking to upgrade.

The Atom is €3000, and NAP250 €7000. It’s a huge jump, and even if price was not an issue, most Atom systems will have speakers, such as the popular Neat iotas, which will either not be able to cope with the power, or do justice to the performance of the Power amp. On the chance that someone has very capable speakers with the Atom, I suspect the Atoms limitations at the level will become apparent.

Anyone upgrading from Star or Nova probably already has enough power, and that adding a power amp would not add too much. The more logical step would be to trade in the Star/Nova and get the 222 and the NAP250 - which would be a significant improvement, but not an upgrade path, rather a whole system replacement.

Both use cases just don’t quite provide the right fit to provide a compelling upgrade route. I’m hoping that the New Classic NAP range will be expanded with some more affordable Power Amps between €3-4k, 80 wpc level, in a similar chassis (or smaller) without a fan.

I think there is huge demand for the 222 and NAP250 system and great for those who want to spend €14-21k and have speakers and listening rooms that can do justice, but it’s not a suitable upgrade path which is a shame because I think there the is a huge market from Unity owners (like myself) who are ready to take the next incremental step.

4 Likes

Fan? First I have heard of that

I could be wrong, but i think this is a fan.

1 Like

The 50’s are way to big for my room and also my back - ouch- at 50Kg. I have no intention of buying a 300 streamer, as that just leads to more boxes. If I did have active 40’s, then I would buy the new 250 as well and whatever choice of passive speakers. :blush:

One of the nice things about naim is that each upgrade is a clear upgrade, but maybe the step from biggest unity to 222 is too much. However one other way to bridge that gab would be a 4th member in the unity range. But who knos maybe the 200 will reappear in an updated version.
Claus

65 kg