The Naim New Classic range - Part 1

Thanks for the great review. I’m sure @Bevo will be interested in this for his pondering.

1 Like

Oh yes indeedy Mr Kiwi Mike :smiley::+1:

1 Like

I’ll take a new 911S4 Targa over an old one any day

2 Likes

I wouldn’t, because there’s no way I would spend that much money

1 Like

I’m thinking, does anyone of you who listened to these new classics think that the new sound signature is closer to Olive perhaps? I haven’t heard them and am only curious.

1 Like

You should get your Naim dealer to comment on that - and to fix it. We simply cannot say…

I recall the Olive being the same sound as the original classic. So the new classic is the same sound as the old classic?

You guys are remarkable I can’t even remember what my current system sounds like and I played all afternoon. :grin:

15 Likes

Which is what did you say? :sweat_smile:. New classic, old classic, original classic? Olive doesn’t sound the same as black boxes with green lights :blush:

I had some help with my memory. Paul Stephenson said

“So in the second or third year I made the decision to discontinue every product in the range and we came out with the new Reference series. Looking back on that now, I think that, with the infrastructure we had, it could have been suicidal. I remember one night lying in bed and thinking, What if they don’t like it, or if the dealers won’t buy it?

CT: But you didn’t discontinue the 250?

PS: No, not the name, but we did. It was in the olive shape before I put it into the new range with a new design.

CT: It was a new amp.”

PS: It was a new amp. The 282 came out and the 252. Everything got replaced

1 Like

Olive 250 should.

Only ever heard the 250DR

Naim’s designation for the new classic 250 is, 250-3.

Why don’t we just call it 250-3. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

I know what is going to be released and more or less when. All I can say to 500 level owners is unless you have deep pockets for a state of the art streamer enjoy what you have without temptation for years to come :wink:

7 Likes

And, in a 2021 independent consumer report, came 27th out of 28 car manufacturers for reliability. Perhaps there’s something to be said for Naim’s more cautious approach to releasing new product.

Roger

6 Likes

Thankfully not my experience of Tesla.

Complex electronic products, however well tested pre launch, will always have teething problems. I don’t think Naim is different in this regard.

That’s even more confusing, as wasn’t the Classic Black originally called the 250-2, then came the DR version, which would in theory become 250-3 although known as 250-DR. So what that says is we have
NAP250BD (Bolt-Down)
CB-250 (Chrome Bumper)
NAP-250 (Olive)
NAP-250-2 (Classic Black)
NAP-250DR (Classic Black)
NAP-250-3 (New Classic)
I suppose we should really give up on any clear Naim naming convention as it’s never made much sense, and perhaps that make it even more eccentric :blush: .

2 Likes

A famous quote: “There are only two hard things in Computer Science: cache invalidation and naming things”. Although relevant to Naims digital bits, I do wonder whether there is a hardware equivalent of cache invalidation? :thinking:

2 Likes

No less confusing than Car Manufactures numbering I suppose.
BMW, Mercedes, Porsche (Who are truly mad… :rofl:)

1 Like

And the bolt down cb 250?

1 Like