The Naim New Classic range - Part 1

It might well be technically possible I suppose (although not without a fair bit of modification as the NAP250 and NAP250.2/DR have so many differences, not least a far larger Tx and very different layout in the latter), but it’s certainly not official Naim. Are you sure you’re not thinking of the Supercap or Hicap, which are internally quite similar between Olive and Classic?

@bruss - I had always understood that the CB and Olive 250’s were near identical.

As @Richard.Dane says - ‘technically’ its possible that a CB/Olive 250 could be DR’ed - if you had the DR boards. But it would be a ‘one off’ and is not something Naim have done - officially at least.

1 Like

I just, quoted a forum member who claimed that DR can be done for Olive Nap 250.
I personally did not do it, because Ilan Tamir, could not do it.

1 Like

The internals I have compared are the same. My confusion is with the forum reports of a few people who say they have had theirs done. plus the statement from the article Naiming The Future

" : But you didn’t discontinue the 250?

PS: No, not the name, but we did. It was in the olive shape before I put it into the new range with a new design.

CT: It was a new amp.

PS: It was a new amp. "

I may have misunderstood that statement.

1 Like

As I understand it, the big change is with the Black/(Old) Classic 250.2. Where in internal layout is significantly different - eg. bigger Transformer, more-but-smaller Caps mounted vertically, plus no doubt loads more.

So again (AFAIK…) the 250.2 could be DR’ed - but nothing before that could.

YMMV… Its the Interwebzzzzzz…

1 Like

RE: Classic & 993 post.

993 probably the best version of the 911! I test drove a 996 before I settled on a 993 C2….I found the 993 was like a go cart to drive, much more involving with a great soundtrack……the 996 experience did nothing for me, just felt like any German car, whereas every time I drove my 993 it was a pleasure. Enjoy, fab car. Rich

I had one of the pre-production NAP250.2s and even that was slightly different inside so I was told that a DR upgrade would not be possible on that particular unit - hence I purchased a new 250DR instead.

1 Like

Is it further confused because some customers of late olive 250s may have had those units re-cased to match the (then) new black classic look???

Yes, but easily identified outside by the feet and the rear panel, and still very much “first series” NAP250s internally.

1 Like

Ah yes of course!
It does show the complexity and associated knowledge needed to try and integrate as much as possible past, present and even future products in to what is electronic and visual lego. Quite a task naim has set themselves!

@Richard.Dane
Richard Hi, for connecting the new range to previous range there are special cables. The price for the cables to connect NSC222 to NAP 300 seem to be down as £259 per cable! on the NAIM price list I wonder whether that shouldn’t be for the pair. Is there someone who could confirm the correct pricing for the pair if that’s possible? Many thanks.

Thanks Marq. One for Naim sales I would think. I’m sure your dealer will get an answer one way or other.

1 Like

Re Humming,

Several years ago I had a qualified leccy split my incoming mains supply to the house and install a deducated consumer unit with radials. Best upgrade ever sound per pound, just a few hundred quid back then. Since then I never hear transformers humming

I think @Bjorn is jokingly questioning if you’re really a Naim owner as some Naim owners have a tendency to add power supplies and upgrade, whereas you are saying to stick with NSC 222 rather than add the 300PS.

I guess the joke was lost on you somehow!

It wasn’t that funny and I am sure no offence was attended.

But maybe @Bjorn can offer an explanation!

3 Likes

Thanks Richard, I’ve asked around and it is £259 for the pair. The price list is rather misleading I have to say.

1 Like

Thanks Dan, yes possibly:)

Sadly I need little persuading in what PSUs can do but it’s not quite the same effect every time (ask a Naim owner!). In any case, if in doubt, my most expensive box at present is in fact a PSU (SCDR).

As for the 222, what I did mean was that at £11.4k with the 300PSU it wouldn’t make sense to me and hopefully the 222 on its own would be a significant enough improvement over my current Atom HE. If not, I would wait to see the 300 series streamer DAC. I also come from the fact that the XPS DR did not do for me as much as I was expecting when added to my NDX2 previously. I have the feeling, however, that that the 222 might be more dependent on an added PSU and it also looks likely that the 300PSU is possibly more at the level of SCDR than XPS? All good fun!

Progress on my new 200 series! The Mrs actually said tonight don’t turn it off im listening to that ! on digging deeper she explained she much prefers the sound on the new box than the old one as it was much clearer.
now that’s a result :innocent:

12 Likes

Yes, Dan is absolutely right in his interpretation of my joke, perhaps not so successful because the spirit did not come across, but power upgrade is in Naim DNA, as I see it :blush: Absolutely no harm intended.

3 Likes

I used to think that Naim was actually a manufacturer of power supplies, and they made audio kit just to give the PSUs something to do.

15 Likes

No, I am sorry for being slow … more of a keeper only anyway!:slight_smile:

1 Like