The Naim New Classic range - Part 1

I got my new 222/250 combo two days ago and connected them immediately to my brilliant PMC Fact 12. My dealer told this could be the first customer delivered new Classics in Finland. I had before NAC-N272 and NAP250DR powered with XP5XS. Before I have had more boxes (282, 250, ND5XS, NDAC, Supernait, CD-player) in several combinations. I have also Michell Orbe for vinyls.

After two days of familiarization I like very much the New Classics. I think they work perfectly with PMC:s, which maybe likes the increase in power to 100 W. The stage and separation is either better or just different than before, but (once again) this Naim sound is the best I have ever had.

Normally the sonical qualities are compared between combos, but I have to say this new Classic has also a modern connectivity and user interface for music in several different sources (vinyl, NAS, Qobuz, Tidal, Roon, multiroom). Its a big step forward from still very good NAC-N272. I also have Uniti Atom in my TV-room with KEF LS50:s, and I like the co-operation with these two modern devices.

First I had a little problems in connecting the remote controller and the combinated controlling with 222 and 250. In the end they needed to be disconnected in turns before then remote controller connected and the stand by-sequence worked. I am perfectly happy with the new generation of Naim Classics.

46 Likes

So … no NACA5?: )

I think the speaker cables are more like Sarum?

@Bjorn, now, please tell me that the jump from AtomHE+250 to 222+250 was bigger than the one from 222+250 to 222+250+300? :sunglasses:

1 Like

So how would you rate the 222/250 compared to the other gear and how would you rate the 222/250 compared to the 222/300/250?

2 Likes

Mrs P face must have been a picture when you told her.

1 Like

Theoretical question, just wondering if the 222 streamer and pre amp sections were separated (yes I know there a one box solution) where would the streamer sit, or be equivalent to in the outgoing range, likewise the pre amp section.
Just trying to gauge an idea of the performance levels for the streamer and pre amp sections.

The general consensus seems to be a little above NAC202 (Pre) & ND5 XS2 (Streamer)

4 Likes

Thats interesting, thanks.
So am I right in thinking I probably wouldnt gain a great deal of performance difference from NAC 202/HCDR/NAPSC and ND5 XS2 vs the new 222 ?

The performance difference might be close……but the new kit has a different sound signature which you might love……or you might prefer the old sound.

1 Like

@Dreadatthecontrols - if you’re even thinking about the possibility, it’s probably worth going for a listen at your dealer’s. I think there’s enough on this thread to suggest it might ‘beat’ a 202/ND5 combo. (I haven’t the faintest idea.)

1 Like

Yes a demo would be good as it will just come down to personal taste and whether you think it’s worth it - as there is absolutely nothing wrong with your existing set up.
I’ve upgraded from ND5 XS2 and XS3 and jump is massive as it should be at three times the price.
Listening to Sault 11 - vocals are in the room and bass is timed beautifully it’s an easy listen :grin::+1:.

3 Likes

I will be having a dem shortly but dealer dem conditions, my listening environment and system are very different so interesting to hear the initial thoughts of other Naim users here.

So from comments thus far, I glean not neccesarily better just different.

And to add If I may, sorry if this has already been discussed but thread is now 3260 comments long.

250 DR vs new 250, any thoughts/experience thus far?
Thanks

1 Like

Hi Dread,
Comparisons are challenging as you potentially end up offending the majority of existing owners so would rather say it’s a very good match for 222.
One of my concerns was - is the new 250 a waste on my easy to drive speakers ? absolutely not they take ‘em places the didn’t go before and improve consistency of frequency response in my room.
Good luck.

3 Likes

Thank you Rob, having read through the multiple speculations on this thread I was beginning to develop a full on Inspector Dreyfus tick :wink::joy: Best Peter

3 Likes

Nice to hear the New Classics are driving your Proacs well.

1 Like

Sarum T speaker cables, otherwise it was right Slamdam.

1 Like

Sarum T Yes :+1: I don’t think you need to worry garcon, the step from AtomHE to 222 was bigger than I expected :wink:

2 Likes

As usual Lucifer, every step is clearly better, but the biggest difference was after all when the 300 was plugged in, it lifted the system to a different level. Probably the biggest effect I’ve heard a PS achieve in a Naim system, relatively speaking.

3 Likes

Cheapest way to get fully “DRed” components from new - I think.

A couple of comments about noise from my new NSC200 and NAP250.

I cannot hear any humming noise even if I put my head next to the devices.

Also, there is no hiss or hum over speakers or headphones with the volume turned right up.

2 Likes