The Naim New Classic range - Part 1

They should be top quality speakers. What don’t you or the Mrs like about them?

I’m suprised they differentiate. Wouldn’t it, from a brand pov, make more sense to just have all say designed only?

Just trust the brand, no debate or even different second hand value based on where it’s been made.

Yes the Focals are great it maybe the blue in her lounge ! although I think they look as beautiful as they sound. TBF to Focal the Kim"s are +£3k I found it hard to hear an improvement in SQ hope I don’t regret then leaving .
30/1/23 As an update to my post and reply
I have today re-boxed the Team Fink Kim speakers and will be returning them
tomorrow as after listening to them over the weekend they are to my ears
not as good as the Focal Kanta 2’s I would rate them if the Kanta 2 is a 10 the Team Fink Kim is a 7.5. so they would have cost 3.5K more to buy and didn’t
for me do it.

1 Like

I am a bit disappointed Naims NCS222 doesn’t offer a proper phono pre with MM and MC options. Looks like it`s not really attractive for NAIM to offer more analog.
The Superline is for sure a great MC pre amp - but on the other hand not really flexible with different type of Systems.

The NSC 222 can power the NVC TT phonostage through the DIN analogue input which provides support for MM + MC carts. This will become available as a 200 Series Phonostage accessory at some point in time (rebadged)

2 Likes

Putting a very sensitive MC phono stage in the same box as a preamp exposes the very low level signal to interference. Putting one in a box with a preamp that also contains a wifi module, streaming board, SHARC processor, DAC and toroidal power supply etc. is asking for trouble.

14 Likes

A short conversation this morning around the problems with the Roksan in the media room have hinted at a possible major shift.
It’s now looking like an NSC 222 & NAP 250 are a possibility with the 202/200 combo moving to the Media Room and the Roksan being disposed of!
This is a very exciting prospect :grin:
Any suggestions as to which Stage Line would be best to go with this to use with my Project Perspective?
MM Cartridge

2 Likes

MM - Stageline N.

Thanks Ian
I have no experience of Naim Phono Stages. Is this the best value for money PS at the upto £500 price point?
I had considered the Project Phono Box S3 which is MM/MC.
I realise listening is the only true measure, but the question is, what to line up to dem?:man_shrugging:t2:

At this point in Naim’s evolution, you have to ask yourself what is it about their sound signature that is/has been so compelling and whether they are slowly shifting away from that to capture a more “diverse” audiophile demographic.

Reading some of the posts in this thread almost seems to suggest the previous series is broken.

In the end, once the dust has settled, the conclusion will likely be, the new series is different rather than better (and yes, increased perceived detail and clarity, bigger “soundstage”, more “air” etc doesn’t always translate into more musical enjoyment). One only has to hear a well sorted out olive series kit to know better is a relative term.

17 Likes

@110dB Maybe not the best marketing to have a picture on the website with a 222 that seems to have trouble finding the network Steve?:thinking::wink:

2 Likes

Yea evolve or die. Its great that naims products have so much demand that they need new manufacturing plant. How can this be bad! I have had uniti atom, 250…2 dr 272, now have a qb, atomhe, nap100(brand new old stock) sn3, ndx2, scdr. I personally think they should build a plant in the usa to get around whatever penalties we suffer to buy new naim. My friends think im crazy, then they hear it.

5 Likes

That sounds very low. Move west!

I’ve got the Phono box S2 for my 2Xperience. It sounds very good through my 5si and configurable for mm/mc. It’s also very small and easy to place. The S3 is much bigger more expensive but dual mono. I’ve not heard one but I imagine it’s much more of the same so a good match if you are using an Ortofon cartridge.

:thinking:
Current cartridge is a Goldring 1042 with about 200-300 hours on it.
I am thinking of upgrading to a Sumiko Blue Point No3

1 Like

I heard the New Classic range on Thursday, albeit briefly, and I was struck at how familiar it felt.
I am a 202/200 owner and just from the short listen on Thursday, I felt that the feel was much the same, just more expansive and grown up. Not great adjectives perhaps, but they do describe how the short demo made me feel.
The Naim sound was still very much alive and kicking for me…

1 Like

What cartridge do you use? Forum lore says some match better with the Stageline N than others :slight_smile:

From a purely partisan point of view, but also sightly practical, Graham Slee might be worth a listen - there’s a loan scheme you can try for home demos. Their Reflex (c.£500) stage receives good reviews.

Plus the Project must also be worth a listen!

[1042, nice, I was writing and didn’t see the post!]

1 Like

Rather than Stageline look at one of the Graham Slee phono amps…

1 Like

…or Rega Aria.

3 Likes

I could not say. Just answering your question…

I have always used and still use, the Naim built in Phono Boards with the CB & Olive kit.
Currently using 523 E boards in my 82, with a DV10X.