The Naim New Classic range - Part 1

I have been considering Graham Slee (Era Gold V) and Rega (Aria).
Also considering the Heed Questar MM and Clearaudio Nano V2…
BUT
Phono Stages are a mine field…:face_with_diagonal_mouth:

1 Like

The NSC 222 can power a NVC TT via the analogue DIN input. Whilst not available as a specific 200 Series accessory/phonostage, it’s only a matter of time before it is, same goes for the NPX TT.

And what would be a suitable price according to you then? Products made in the US are more expensive in Europe than they are in the US, so why shouldn’t the reverse apply? Time to stop whining maybe?:thinking:

NSC 222 has a built in MM phonostage (sure you know that). I use the MM built in to my SN3 as an example, also with a Rega deck and a Goldring 2500, perfectly acceptable performance and a good starting point unless MC is mandatory.

1 Like

Main system Phono Stage is a Cyrus Signature with PSX/R2 & that won’t be changing.
The new phono stage will be for the second system which may be the 202/200 system running the Project Perspective.
Currently the Roksan Amp in the Media Room has a built in Phono Stage so I haven’t needed a separate one for the system, but if I bin the Roksan then a Phono Stage will be required…:man_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

Main System is LP12 with MC Apheta 3

1 Like

Lehmann Audio perhaps? Decade for example.

2 Likes

Instead of the GS Era Gold V , i suggest you go for the Reflex M , worth the extra money. It is a great Phono preamp and you should be able to try it at home with GS loan program.

1 Like

Being the second system, I have set a £ limit of £500.

2 Likes

Rega Fono for an mm cart.

4 Likes

Your post is not much different than some observations made when the current classic kit was introduced back in the aughts. I wondered similar when I got a 252/SC2/250.2. It lacked the magic of the olive kit. So nothing really new here.

3 Likes

I agree, we have choices and I would be looking at competitors and what I can get for $30K USD for SQ and box count. When the time comes for me to consider upgrading I’ll be looking at Dan D’Agostino since they are local to me and I’ve heard great things about them. If I can get a better sound with fewer boxes I’ll be saying goodbye to Naim.

1 Like

:laughing: You have an excellent eye for detail @Bjorn …I guess that’s why you’re a Naim customer :wink:

6 Likes

@110db. Could you explain more about this, and apologies if its been covered already in this very long thread…

I understand the pre of the 222 is purely analog so is balance control achieved via dsp on the streamer and so not available for the phono input or is via a tap per channel on the volume control ladder ? Will the 222’s method be used on any future pure pre-amp and so require an app to operate or will they have no balance control option.

Thanks

1 Like

Sure, it’s entirely up to you…:man_shrugging:

Like everything.

Personally I would never buy Dan D’Agostino, way too much bling for my taste, but we are all different of course…:innocent:

Hi @Deeg,

NSC 222 Volume control
The left and right volume controls are completely independent. This allows the left/right balance to be set for all inputs at zero loss of sound quality (unlike a separate balance potentiometer or DSP)

The volume control is ‘fly-by-wire’. An ARM chip sends signals to reed-relays, the relays select tappings from a fixed resistor chain. The higher up the chain the louder the signal and the lower down the chain the quieter the signal.

(Reed relays are electrically controlled switches. The switch contacts are hermetically sealed in a glass tube. The control side is galvanically isolated from the signal side)

Being fly by wire also allows inputs to have their respective sensitivities set. e.g. boost MM by 3dB. When an input is selected an ‘off-set’ is added to the master volume level, as is the balance off-set. Balance and input sensitivities settings therefore have zero effect on sound quality.

The ARM also keeps a second master volume setting for headphones. This way there’s no surprises when pulling out the headphones after a loud session.

…yes, this volume control architecture is also used on Statement (pure analogue pre-amp) and will be used on future products.

Cheers
Steve

17 Likes

Thanks for the info steve :+1:

1 Like

How do you know? Have you listened to it?