The Naim New Classic range - Part 1

Give me an example please

I think best to get back on topic here - posts specifically about the new Classic kit. Thanks.

9 Likes

A/B comparisons may reveal differences but IME you won’t be able to realise the whole picture. A far more useful test is to live with both sets of equipment and then decide which is the one you prefer.

Also I wouldn’t say a 552 ‘blows’ a 282 away. Not having owned the 282 but I’ve owned the 82 which I had paired with nap 300 which was a very entertaining system. The 552 betters the 82, sure. But I always caution hyperbole, I know it’s your opinion but i don’t think it helps the community when they have unrealistic expectations of equipment.

1 Like

I went from 282 /SC to 552 and I concur, there was no “blowing away”.
As I have said previously my Naim SL2 powered by 300DR does blow away my Bluetooth speaker but that’s the extent of blowing away that’s occurred chez Sloop.

.sjb

4 Likes

Curiosity got the better of me so I decided to call into my dealer last Friday and have a listen to the New Classic range. Any comparison or review was made much easier as they were connected to the Neat Orkestra’s which is the same speaker I own.

First off the look, while they do look different they’re not that different that you won’t recognise them anything other than a Naim product. Sitting in a Fraim the new casing is hardy noticeable and the white Naim light that seems to cause so much debate doesn’t look out of place or that bad in my opinion. I could easily live with the new style the only downside for me is the large eliminated volume knob that seems to dominate the NCS 222, I’m not sure I like it or not.

Playing music I was extremely familiar with (Bowie Tears For Fears etc) there was that typical Naim prat with great detail clarity and bass. The soundstage that others had mentioned wasn’t that spectacular imo but it wasn’t a problem either as everything just seem to jell. If I was to walk in off the street without any prior knowledge of Naim I’d be totally impressed and more than likely walk out with the lot that is if it wasn’t for the $41k price tag - without speakers. That kind of money might have me looking for options that maybe better value.

Now the big question would I swap my 250DR/252/SC DR/NDX2/XPS DR ?- no. In my opinion it lacked the wow bang and focus of my existing combo and at best it’d probably be a sideways move. However I do still like the simplicity of a 3 box set up.

This all bodes well for any 3 series or above however as mentioned in other threads the cost will more than likely make it difficult for most here in the colonies to upgrade and makes it even harder to get that first system based on separates, shame.

On the plus side it certainly proved convenient that I was at Harry’s that day as I helped him sell another pair of those wonderful Neat Okrestras to a very satisfied customer.

Don’t know who painted the painting on the wall of Harry’s listening room (circa 1994). Probably some struggling artist living in a hippie commune on sourdough cheese and red wine.

47 Likes

Well I did say audio memory is short so the proof is in the payment (rather than the pudding)

Did I buy a 552 ? No

As Naim says source first and I maxed out my source which means I am happy to stay at 282 level

Even my 202/200 keeps me musically very happy

But just don’t listen to a 552 in a direct comparison with the lesser preamps… there is a reason why it was the top naim preamp

Still though… I have not bought one and have no plans to do so in the near future.

Go figure

What I mean is not everything in life has to be purchased when it’s not in the budget

I can admire a Ferrari from far but I do not need to own one

The 282/HC is very good value and performance at that money level and I enjoy it daily

16 Likes

Looks like they could move the painting along the wall and then slot another painting in, sales opportunitity for the struggling artist :thinking::sunglasses:

4 Likes

Good thinking I’ll ring him tomorrow. There were 2 originally but I have no idea where the 2nd is. Someone on the forum is using it as their id I think.

2 Likes

You should have offered a swap for the new classic stuff :+1:

3 Likes

If I thought it was better I might have but at this stage I’d say it’s different. The truth is these types of listening comparisons are always pretty subjective imo.

1 Like

I meant a swap for some paintings :sunglasses:

1 Like

Ah sorry, I’ve got more Naim boxes than I know what to do with I’ll take the cash any time. :rofl::rofl:

I could just imagine the trouble I’d be in if I arrived home with more, I’d be better off bringing some beans home. :grin:

1 Like

I’m in a worse situation than you Pete

Counting the NDX2 about to arrive , I have 12 classic boxes

Could you imagine the upgrade cost in converting those to the new classic range when all released !!!

I’d be working until I’m 80 mate :weary::weary::weary: if I survive that long !!

2 Likes

Good thing that’s only a few years. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Knew you would say that as I was typing :crazy_face::crazy_face:

When do you get your NDX2?

Next couple of days evidently

If not next week as down south on Friday

I think Harry is excited bringing me into the streaming age ha :smiley::smiley: although partially do it with Core and small Dac down south

Having not seen this new classic gear yet I’m kind of with you, not sure I like that big knob on the 222

Stick to your current 5 box set up and maybe in time a way through to the new classic 5 box setup may emerge

He did offer a good deal on a 300 non DR but I don’t think I’ll take it.

Get an Qobuz subscription

1 Like

At your age, I wouldn’t worry too much about that :joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

I’ve been doing retirement planning whist it’s raining. No budget for any more black boxes and may need to scale back if we move to a smaller home later on. Plan is to stay with part time work for a few more years and have the boots hung up by 60. After over 30 years in my industry, I don’t have the mental energy to carry on with full time work.

7 Likes