The Naim New Classic range - Part 1

@PHABH11

“…better than the 3**DR”… Presume you meant 300DR?
That would throw the NAP hierarchy out of whack, surely as it would mean that the new (whenever it arrives ) 300 power would be closer to 500DR, so what then happens…?

2 Likes

In what way is the new NAP 250 DR better than a NAP 300 DR. Did you do a direct comparison in the same system?

3 Likes

What’s the bet ??? Not :crazy_face::crazy_face:

4 Likes

Irony in that statement…?

2 Likes

Yeah wasn’t going to mention that ha !!!

3 Likes

Ha ha Mike, it’s a case of the emperors new clothes.
Stick a 552 into the mix and then we can take a statement like that seriously.
272 nah blah blah blah…

1 Like

Having back to backed both at home it really is not. Add in the 300PS and they are close but I would still give the nod to the 282.

6 Likes

And what do you think?
Do you think they are on the same level?

It makes more sense to focus on the changes and improvements specifically.
Making direct “better/worse” comparisons ends up being subjective and biased at best.

In particular with respect to NAP 250 (200 Series):

• Increased power output to 100w
  • Symmetrical XLR inputs
  • Eddy current seperator at speaker outputs
  • Power management and power on improvements to reduce power consumption and provide more graceful power on process

It’s design will aim to have incorporated a number of the characteristics of previous generations but overall will provide a different and refined presentation as opposed to a “better/worse” set of characteristics.

9 Likes

Yes, I guess so. I assume Naim will say the power supply is isolated in the case, and it isn’t necessary though. We’ll see.

There’s a reason the top case has that shiny plastic strip front to back…

2 Likes

Seems like a lot of guessing and very little testing going on here.

6 Likes

Theoretical speculation Pete

Well, good to see a view based on direct comparison in the home environment. How many hours did the 222 have in, I guess not many. Would be interesting to hear similar comparison once the demo units get some hours.

2 Likes

Would that be more Brain and less Brawn or vice versa. I think we should all know :wink:

Seriously though. Maybe we converge on one rack and the ever increasing WAF :rofl: because things are less sensitive. I predict this theory will completely go out the door on the arrival of the 300 new classic stuff

2 Likes

For many years the NDX/202/200 was a suggested Naim system. As was the NDX2/202/200. I am using the first option, (with a couple of “Voldermort” power supplies. Sounds great. Yes a 252 is on my radar, but the 202/200 works just fine.

4 Likes

I’m listening at present to JB Radio2 via 222, 300 and ATC 40 actives. Too busy for guessing and speculation :blush:

2 Likes

Good for you @NoNaim
Or should I say SomeNaim :rofl:

2 Likes

Some very overheated views coming in. I doubt very much that there is any reason why someone with a well set up set of classic separates would be troubled by the new kit unless they wanted to reduce box count or, for some reason, thought that there were some (expensive) gains in trading up old 250 to new 250. I think new kit aimed at new Naim customers who aren’t into the whole massive box number (usually disparagingly referred to as ‘lifestyle’ customers) or people like me who have a Uniti product (Nova in my case) and can get a clear uplift by moving to a 2 box system ( and can further add a PS if suddenly find a spare £6k)

17 Likes

I don’t think a 300 series preamp/streamer will come out.
To increase the quality of the NSC222 it would be necessary to approach the quality of a preamp like the 282 and this is probably unachievable in a single box. As for the quality of the streamer part, it also seems impossible to do much better than the NSC222 in a single box with a preamp…
The NSC222 already has a dual Burndy input usable by the best power supplies (2x 555ps).
Hard to really do better.

1 Like