The Naim New Classic range - Part 1

You can always add another NPX 300 to your 222 for symmetry :grinning:

Are you sure you can? How would you connect it?

One Burndy off each of the NPX 300ā€™s, at a guess?
No idea if thatā€™s actually recommended, certainly something I have no personal experience of either.

Pretty sure it mentions on Naimā€™s website that you can add an additional NPX 300 so you have one for the digital side and one for the analogue sideā€¦ā€¦from memoryšŸ¤”

Thatā€™s what I thought too, but Iā€™d not rely on my memory or recommendations, not on this at least :joy:

2 Likes

That has to be one of the least attractive value propositions ever.

If you look at the internals of the NPX the analogue and digital sides are already on separate DR regulators and burndy cabling.

Of course youā€™d have a dedicated transformer per side, avoiding any cross feed, but Ā£5700 for that on low level signals?

Iā€™m sure someone will try it soon and tell us it takes the 222 to Statement level :laughing:

7 Likes

Would certainly be good to hear the reasoning from Naim, but yes I agree, I think Iā€™d focus my Ā£5700 somewhere else.

3 Likes

I wonder how many actually added a 2nd 555PS to their NDS or ND555? I know some did but I doubt itā€™s many.

Not everyone preferred it on NDS,IĀ“ve heard.They thought the sound become big and spacious ,but lacked involvement.

ā€¦.that was last nights dream anyway :wink:

That sounds more like two 500ps units on a NAP500.

1 Like

Was that ever an official recommendation from Naim ?

No, we tried it and while I personally felt that initially it seemed to add a sense of greater size and space or airiness to the sound, things also sounded less of a piece and ultimately we felt the musical losses werenā€™t worth the seeming ā€˜ā€œHiFiā€ gain.

5 Likes

Interesting,thank you !

Funny, buts thatā€™s how I found Tidal was compared to Spotify

I havenā€™t tried two 555 PS on NDS myself.
I prefer Tidal Hifi to Spotify ,but I donā€™t think any of them is good enough,so I donā€™t have them anymore.

Tidal doesnā€™t sound as good as Qobuz does in my system.

Stopped by my dealer today to learn he no longer sells Naim. Looks like I wonā€™t get a demo after all.

Heā€™s a Linn guy and sells way more Linn than anything else. He had me listen to a selekt dsm organik set up with Wilson Sabrinas and I was impressed at how good it sounds.

2 Likes

I am making the same decision. Every dealer I have spoken to suggests the 300 is a notch up from the XPSDR, but not in the 555ps league.

Same here. Qobuz kills Tidal pretty easy IMO.

8 Likes

Why didnā€™t Naim simply build the npx300 with two transformers. One for digital, one for analogue.