The Naim New Classic range - Part 1

Judging by reaction to the new 200 series the new 300 will be something pretty special. My guess is it will come close to the current 500 boxes.

If that is the case then we can expect Statement 2, as the a new 500 would be uncomfortably close to the current Statement.

1 Like

Or a 700 seriesā€¦

1 Like

Naim has always been very clever with their tiering :+1:t3: ATB Peter

1 Like

How did you compare the 272 and 222 while holding all else equal? Iā€™m curious. I expect the 222 should outshine the 272 but Iā€™m curious if you werenā€™t hearing improvement from other components. Iā€™ll say that I find the 272/555/250DR to be a big improvement over my previous CDS3/252/SC2/250.2 but thatā€™s not a side by side comparison. Just my recollection of not enjoying the music as much as I do now and who knows what contributes to that disparity.

2 Likes

I did not compare them, as I said it was from memory. The 222 sounded much better than my memory of the 272. I got rid of the 272 about 6 years ago though

1 Like

So what it sounds like youā€™re saying is your memory of the 272 and its connected components sounded inferior to the 222 and its connected components. So itā€™s more of a holistic comparison than an individual component comparison.

1 Like

Whatever. I was just contributing to the discussion.

4 Likes

How about we go for relevant discussion. Iā€™m curious to hear how the 272 v 222 straight up pans out. Iā€™m sure the 222 is better but Iā€™d like to hear some impressions. Has anyone done one yet? Are the cables that are needed available yet?

4 Likes

The new classic 200 range is great. ! I am delighted with mine.

6 Likes

I suspect 272vs222 will eventually need its own thread.

7 Likes

My local dealer, Cultured audio are doing the proper comparison :+1:

Started with 272/250DR
Then 222/250NC
Then added 300NPX

This was all into Kudos Titan 505

Blimey! they are certainly a step change :flushed: further investigation required me thinks :blush:

19 Likes

Apart from the NPX300, how does this compare the individual components?

I think tou would call that compĆØring, how else woul you like it compared?

1 Like

Iā€™m guessing you way the Amps switched and the 300 on the 272?

It would take a while, but maybe something like:
272/250DR
222/250DR
272/250NC
222/250NC
222/250NC/300NPX
Quite a lot of changes - especially if you want to go back and forth between various combinations. But that would probably reveal what gives the greatest change - 222, 250NC or 300NPX.

3 Likes

I think to do that you would need to do it in a single visit?

I had a 272/300DR/XPS before changing for the 222/300/250 New classic

The biggest concern for me was the 250/ 300dr switch, still may look at that again if a 300 in the new classic does come out.

As a complete set up the clarity of vocals for me is the big change and the detail at the upper end. I played the old system in the morning at home and the new in the afternoon, even not run in it had that clarity, now some 3 weeks later, it surprises me with music I have played for years, now, letā€™s be honest, as I have said before we are not slumming it here either would grace many homes, but for me, it is musically better, and that to me is the key!

8 Likes

Ready to compare the NC series with my 272/250DR/XPSDR.

This is one of the very first set arrived in Italy and the dealer is so kind to let me try it at home for some days.

I will let you know.

25 Likes

Have your credit card on standbyā€¦

1 Like

This unit is made in Salisbury

11 Likes