The Naim New Classic range - Part 1

The unboxing is “Apple Style” like the new Uniti range

6 Likes

First impression compared to 272/250DR/XPSDR: the new classic seems to provide a more open sound signature, same big sound but more detailed both on top and bottom end.

It gives a lot of musicality if not more…

At the first few seconds you can recognize a little bit the signature of the Uniti range but with a lot more power and music informations.

So the top end seems more detailed then the 272/250DR/XPSDR but not harsh, very soft. An incredible balance between clarity and musicality.

And the bottom end seems to be in another league.

Need more time to listen other tracks.

9 Likes

I would say the sound is beautifully silky, something more refined that what I’m used to hear with the 272/250

4 Likes

And vocals seems more realistic than what heard before with the 272/250.

Vocals with the 272/250 are very good but a little bit more closed, intense but less realistic compared to this new classic series.

Now I’m testing the new rig with a pair of B&W 703 S3, later tomorrow I would try with my reference speakers, the Sonus Faber Guarneri Evolution.

5 Likes

I have to say I’m hearing also a significant speed improvement.

2 Likes

Have now tried it with fast and very complex music and it doesn’t miss a beat, it never goes into crisis and it keeps the full body and incredible detail. Truly spectacular

3 Likes

Looking forward to your thoughts as that is my current setup. What speakers are you driving?

Thank you for your report… I also 272.xpsdr.250dr with focal 1028be and I listened to the new 222.250.300 at an auditorium and I had the same impression as you, more clarity but sometimes it was too much with bw 804d4! Perhaps we should have listened to other speakers. I am very happy with my system but I would like to compare my own…

1 Like

B&W 703 S3. Tomorrow I will try with the Sonus Faber Guarneri Evolution.

So you like it then? :slight_smile:

I think it is superior than 272/250DR/XPSDR both as a preamplifier and as a power amp. So more clarity, speed and details but with a lot of musicality and silky sound. As said it is a very good balance.

Of course that doesn’t mean that the old rig is not good. It means we have something different, with a different flavor and technically improved. I like it a lot.

4 Likes

This just makes me more eager to get my 222/300, hopefully, they will arrive on the predicted arrival date at the beginning of March.

1 Like

I think the system hierarchy approach might help reduce the number of comparisons needed here.

If I had a 272, was considering an upgrade, and my local Naim dealer wasn’t too busy to do comparative demonstrations with equipment that I own, I would ask to do this sequence of comparisons

1. 272 vs 222 into 250 DR
  2. Naked winning preamp v naked winning preamp+300NPX into 250 DR (say, 222 vs 222+300NPX into 250 DR)
  3. Winning preamp+PSU into 250 DR v 250 NC (say, 222+300NPX into 250 DR vs 250 NC)

No doubt all three boxes sound better, why wouldn’t they?

I’d like to hear the comparison b/w the 222 and 272 head to head. So plug the 222 into the 250DR and compare to the 272/250DR. That would give you some insight into how the two streamer amps compare. Likewise a comparison of the 272 plugged into the new 250 v the 222 plugged into the new 250. Then you could do a 222 with 250DR v the 222 with new 250 and that’d tell you how much better the new 250 is compared to the 250DR. Do they have the cables that allow the retro fitting?

3 Likes

How much does the new 200 series cost in Italy then?:thinking:

The cables allowing connections between the various Classic and New Classic boxes will be available over the next few months. At this stage I think I’ll just get the 222 and connect it to the 555dr via a Y shaped burndy. There was a table chart of the new cables earlier in this thread about 19,000 posts ago.:grinning:

3 Likes

The 300NPX spec sheet refers to it powering new Naim 200 series sources and preamps - so more than just the 222 combo.

Has anyone heard anything about when an NC 200 preamp is expected?

Anyone who actually knows the answer won’t say because of Naim’s embargo on releasing such information before it’s official release.

So anyone who does answer your question (unless they work for Naim!) is either guessing or relying on rumours.

2 Likes

Do these new classics work best when powered 24x7 ?

The official importer suggested retail price in Italy is 7.250,00 € (incl. taxes) for each component, so it’s 21,7k € for the full set. They are listed around the web at 7.000,00 / 7.250,00 € and I’m sure every dealer can discount a little bit.

3 Likes