The Naim New Classic range - Part 1

Tbh there’s nothing in what’s been released yet that temps me anyway apart from the new PS. If I were to upgrade the NAP300 would be the logical path so I’ll wait and see what happens

1 Like

4 Likes

The new range looks absolutely stunning; well done Naim! A bit disappointed that the new NSC222 doesn’t have an HDMI input. I was suspecting Naim would come out with a new streaming preamp and was holding out from purchasing anything else (currently using Nova as my streaming preamp and looking to upgrade). It looks like my search will have to continue. But either way cannot wait to see the reviews for the new range - I think these will fly off the shelves!

3 Likes

Maybe… it did say this year!

Same here in NDX2 having same price as the new boxes including VAT.

1 Like

There’s another show end of January in Barcelona that they will attend I believe.

1 Like

Bingo! :see_no_evil:

Yes, there is an AV bypass in the NSC 222. It sets the L&R inputs to 0dB for integrating with a surround sound processor. (analogue inputs one)

6 Likes

Hello Ian,
You missed the point of my comment, but yes the 252 needs a Supercap or Supercap DR.
I was just commenting that some regard the 252 as a backward moves when going from an olive 52. Possibly, I have heard both but with different power amps and sources. To me they are both good

2 Likes

All units have adjustable brightness.
If they have an app the setting is there
If there is no app (like an amp or PSU, it can be found on the rear panel.

When connected together with system integration the app will control all units together, they will also all switch on/off together.

5 Likes

I just did a quick google search here in NZ and its $15,000 each for all 3 Mike_S

1 Like

Probably it’s like when Naim sorted out the 250.2. People were wandering if it’s near the level of 135. Can’t say, but I guess the gap narrowed vs the olive 250.

What about an NDS ?

Excuse the dumb/ignorant question but is announcement suggesting the Hicap & Supercap are being discontinued? And if yes does this mean the new NPX300 will be the replacement for the Hicap & Supercap? Any thoughts much appreciated!

Kr,
Rich

There’s an interesting Compatibility and Cables document on the Signals website (and I assume the Naim website, although I cannot find it).

It seems that, with the right cable, you can power the NSC 222 with an XPS DR or a 555 PS. The cable to connect the XPS DR to the NSC 222 must be quite a beast, one socket at the XPS end and two at the NSC 222 end.

The SuperNait 3 column is blank, suggesting that there is no option to connect the NSC 222 to the SuperNait 3 power amp input, which seems surprising. There are some other exclusions, such as the NPX 300 not working with the NDS.

1 Like

More to come? Seems likely…

1 Like

Ouch. I feel a bit better now about just buying a pre-loved NAP 300 DR and NAC 552 DR. And the classic gear should hold up value wise too. The 222/250 is quite a price jump up from the Nova and the SN3/NDX2 as well. It does look very good though and I think the simplification of boxes is very welcome.

3 Likes

That’s a 25% increase, hardly small

Will this also become available to the Uniti range (assuming it’s the same app) ? I’ve often seen it requested and would like it myself of course.

The NSC 222 comes with MM built in only, there’s not an option to have it not fitted.

It can be switched off in the APP. It also has an 8 pin powered DIN socket for the re-release of NVC-TT (does not have Solstice written on it). The NVC has MM and MC.

9 Likes

One of the UK dealer websites also mentions a phono stage is forthcoming to replace the Superline, presumably upgradable with the new power supply here.

1 Like