The Naim New Classic range - Part 1

Steve,

Thanks so much for this. Honestly, it’s so helpful of you, and makes a difference with this information coming from an authoritative source. Plus it’s absolutely fascinating for those of us into the slightly more technical side of the designs!

All sounds very good to me. Can’t wait to have a second listen (ideally with the 222 to see where we could aspire to in time) and then make a decision. It’s a big one for us, as it would mean selling all our other system, but what we heard the other day was so good we are really considering it.

James

2 Likes

I’ve messaged our production planner to find out availability of leads.

Yes, from the DIN marked bi-amp (or from the RCAs marked Sub - it is a full bandwidth)

2 Likes

Haha, I don’t know the video

…we have more Naim separates planned later this year though

4 Likes

Hear that @Richard.Dane ? You’re finally getting that Naim tape deck you’ve hankered over for decades. I can’t imagine that statement could refer to anything else.

5 Likes

Steve I m sure that every new product will be an improvement of the existing one I ve no doubt, but I was targeting the 282 hcdr not only because of the performances but because of the price target as well. Now a future competitor of the 282 will be for sure more expensive and I will be requested to change my hcdr with something that is more expensive. (The npx costs 2.5 times an hcdr)

Hi @BackToNaim, the legacy leads are in stock, your dealer can order them (or dealer to distributor depending upon region)

2 Likes

I wouldn’t have thought mixing old and new classic signatures would be a good idea so much for synergy.
Wont be me.

I think fully designing backwards compatible new kit would have limited a whole range of design options on the R@D team at Naim. The new cables meet us half way imo, and allow a few radical improvements to the new boxes.

Like you I am sticking with my current and completed system and there is always the second hand market if you need a Hicap.

1 Like

Thank you for a balanced and sensible reply.
I agree.
Shame to have a mixed bag it’s either meant to work together completely or not anything else is a compromise.
I’m not for mixing.
Old or new complete as I’ve been reading from others they have a different signature so best not to mix. :+1:t2:

Oh dear, I must be losing my touch :rofl:

3 Likes

Given that naim will supply their own cables for New Classic to Classic they think it works, and as reported here so do the new owners who have added only one or two units of the new range to their existing systems.

If is not for you that is fine, but it doesn’t
necessarily become a compromise for those who do. There have been many systems that combine Classic / Olive / Chrome that ‘work’ perfectly well to give owners the musical performance they desire.

Mixing an excellent new piece of equipment with a (still) excellent earlier range unit from the same trusted manufacturer seems like a great way to upgrade to me, with no loss of synergy - in fact it is very likely to improve.

4 Likes

What else are they going to say.
Previous ranges classic olive etc are mostly cosmetic changes but this new Classic series is a chassis up redesign so for me I wouldn’t mix.
All very well to do a range of “ intermediate “ range cables but let’s be honest better to move boxes than sit on them.
But it’s not my money I’m only giving an opinion.
I think it all adds a nightmare of variables.
I don’t see the synergy card as many of the posts I’ve read confirm from new owners after demonstration that they have a very different signature.
Some even said they didn’t like the “ old “ Naim sound but this is different.

Removing a NAP250 from a system and connecting a New Classic 250 Power Amp with a slightly different cable isn’t going to be difficult.

1 Like

Having heard the 222/300 into a 250DR it sounds good to my ears and I will be using this set-up once my 222/300 arrives. The NC250 is better but I decided to spend on upgrading my LP12 and keeping the 250DR for the time being. The 250DR has not suddenly become a bad amplifier, it is just not quite as good as the NC. What does interest me, is whether upgrading the DR or getting a second NPX300 will give a bigger upgrade in SQ.

4 Likes

Well if you read back, the 222 was mostly tested and refined with the 250dr. The NC250 being used much later on after the 222 was effectively “complete”. Naim themselves mix and matched.

6 Likes

All viewpoints expressed here, are true. :+1:
However, sat here listening to my new classic 222/300/250 and PMC Twenty5 23i speakers. I can honestly say, I have never had a HiFi sound so good as this combination does, to me. :blush::blush::blush:

16 Likes

Mixing and matching is fine for the company all they’re interested in is moving boxes.
I’m glad I bought mine when I did. :thinking: :+1:t2:

1 Like

On the other hand if Naim hadn’t made arrangements to connect the old and new products people would have complained that they are just forcing everyone to buy the new series! It’s called enlightened self-interest!

4 Likes

I respectfully give you that. :+1:t2:

1 Like

Talking synergy, funny that you are not using Naim speaker cables……and your system is a complete mixture from different makes, but why not, if you think it sounds good……be happy……