The Naim New Classic range - Part 1

I believe it’s something called tetra phobia, the fear of the number four, which is most prevalent in the Far East.

1 Like

That’s it Richard, thank you.

1 Like

Nikola Tesla’s favourite numbers were 3 6 9.
He had a fear of any numbers not including these.
I’m predicting a 369 power amp.

Naim is made in England so what’s the problem

It probably becomes a problem if you want to sell your product into Far Eastern markets and I suspect Naim does want to do so.

2 Likes

Good question but no, unfortunately they can’t be retro fitted…without lots of re-engineering.

• First, they are a different size and will not physically fit.
  • If they did fit the supporting components would also need to be changed to tune the ‘stability’. i.e. make sure it doesn’t oscillate into a variety of loads.
  • Remap the protection circuits
  • SQ tuning.
  • It is not safety related, so no need to recertify.
2 Likes

So has the idea of ‘Tetraphobia’ been adapted by Naim and led to a management decision to avoid use of the Number 4?

A bit bizzarre in practice but have seen building elevators that did not list a 13th floor.

Well I’ve heard it all now.
I suppose for other reasons then there will never be an ND666

2 Likes

Only on Special Order for Iron Maiden fans.

2 Likes

Any of the NC owners tried a full fat powerline with the NC250? Asking for a friend, ahem.

A China based R&D software business unit within the IT international company for whom I work went from version 1,2,3 of software to v5 of their particular products for this same reason of not wanting to use 4. More oddly they later seemingly decided to miss out all even numbers as V5 software was followed by V7 and must recently V9. Even more bizarre, software from a US based team has gone v6, v8 and now v10…totally unrelated and different products to the china team by the way

1 Like

One might wonder what kind of surface treatment it is on the new 200 series, the front plates don’t look quite as elegant as on the old classic series :thinking:

1 Like

I might have missed it, but isn’t “New” and “Classic” a bit of an oxymoron???

4 Likes

Yea, a bit of a gouge for Canadians.

1 Like

Well, at $9K in the U.S. I won’t bite either. Not that it was on my radar anyway, but the pricing makes it very easy to blow the whole thing off. A demo at this point would be an accident.

4 Likes

Yes you have heard it all

Every number should be 888

Three fat ladies :flushed: ………Bingo :rofl:

2 Likes

Yes, thank you, I’m sure that you’re right. I have had my Naim equipment for over 30 years and none of it has ever been serviced. I was just wondering if I could have it ‘improved’ when it goes back to Salisbury for that servicing. In truth, having it brought back to ‘as new’ will probably make it sound that way in any event.

Took delivery yesterday of both the NSC222 and the ATC SCM40a. Replaced a Uniti Star, ATC P1 power amp and ATC SCM19s. Wonderful! Spacing of instruments, speed, soundstage with great focus. Clarity. You know the drill. So very pleased with this. Sorry about poor photo.

46 Likes

my endgame system there!

2 Likes