The Naim New Classic range - Part 1

Steve, could those new transistors be retro-fitted to older spec gear - for example, to an older NAP when units are sent back to Naim HQ for servicing? Or would that mess up the the audio design?

not so lucky to own but have seen…plus the washer was discussed at length about 1000 posts ago!

1 Like

Somehow I must have missed that, thanks for putting me straight though!

Plus ca change, …

Hi,
You didn’t mention the 250dr. Is there any reason?

1 Like

I thought the 250.2 was the DR model…anyways for clarification I was referring to the previous model - the NAP250DR

1 Like

I’ll definitely be interested in how you find the change, it’s been on my mind to make this change also.

Graham,
I doubt that is really the way to go. As suggested, get your stuff serviced and simply enjoy it as you have always done.
If you have a hankering feeling to get the latest and greatest then buy the new stuff, if you like it after a demo.
The approach to updating old kit as you suggests, looks to me to be unprofessional “hacking”

Sorry Lindsay, just joining in the party. NAC 42? 42.5? I’m old enough to remember them. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

The 250.2 was the non-DR version in Classic case. The 250DR superseded it, and looks the same. The naming is now a little confusing in that the New Classic version is just called the NAP 250. They haven’t officially called it a 250.3, 250.8, NC250 or anyhing else that differentiates it. Just as well that it looks sufficiently different to avoid any confusion, at least for now.

2 Likes

I cannot take the credit, someone else pointed this out.

1 Like

It seems likely that it will become progressively referred to as the 250.3 over time…

Gotcha :+1:

I didn’t quite read/remember this correctly…

2 Likes

Ah yes. My first Naim preamp !

Their official documentation, website, manual, rear panel label etc. simply calls it NAP 250. If Naim want to call it something that differentiates it from other models they can, but have apparently chosen not to.
BD, Chrome Bumper, Olive, Tryptich etc. were all unofficial names that became widely adopted in the absence of an official name. No doubt the new version will eventually have a similar nickname. Whether that’s 250.3 or NC250 that have already been coined here, or something else, I couldn’t really care less.

I guess for the purposes of this thread the ‘unofficial’ nomenclature may be more appropriate. :person_shrugging:

Has any official white papers been released yet ?

Only the balanced connection one which is available via TTA’s site as a download for now.

1 Like

I think it’s just 4 hence there were no Nait 4 or Nat 4. If I remember correctly there was thought to be something superstitious? @Richard.Dane might recall?

Are these the replacement for the big thick cable pair I think they are a left and right ! ?
I was told chord have an offering that’s 5k ouch