The Naim New Classic range - Part 1

If you mean that in terms of excitement, then yes. We all need thrilling, this world has become quite boring of late…:wink:

So you’re getting the new 250 and using your SN3 as a pre then?

No, not as of yet. I’m still enjoying my SN3. Maybe sometime in the future. It’s good to know things have progressed, as they should’ve, otherwise what’s the point?

Oh I agree…but if the NC250 excels the 300, I do wonder how the as yet to be announced/released NC300 will stack up against the 500DR, and then how the inevitable (?) NC500 will be against the Statement. Furthering the climb, a new Statement+ perhaps?

A whole new hierarchy.

4 Likes

Yes mate. I’ve owned them all, less the 500 series. It’s a super amp.

I think this is exactly where we will end up. The new series is exceptionally good and will get better further up the range.

Which will be great I have little doubt!

But it’ll definitely mean sticking, for me (which is fine as I’m very happy with 252/300. I’d have to think carefully about hearing a 552 if taking a further step but I’ll never be able to afford NC at the revamped 300 level).

1 Like

If Naim had chosen to produce the new configuration leads required to connect New Classic components to existing kit earlier then maybe there would be some informed opinion available on the forum. Until proper comparisons are possible using naim leads between old and new, it is most difficult to say only speculate.
Naim have deliberately chosen to prevent proper comparisons to be made at this stage. They would obviously like the new components to have the limelight. I understand that…
I trust Naim to produce improved sound & music when launched as each previous generation from Chrome Bumper to Classic has previously done so IMHO. (a few exceptions maybe, rectified by the dr intro)
Where a 250s3 or 300PSU fits in the old/new Naim hierarchy remains to be seen. I’m in no hurry to change my 252 system as it sounds better than any Naim system I have owned since my first in 1984 and is simply musically stunning.

5 Likes

You have a wonderful combo already.

1 Like

Can’t argue with that.

I’m just stating how good the new 250 is.

When I heard it, new 250 was NOT outgunned by the 300DR. Punch, musicality and sparkle. Add to that the new look, I love it. It’s a stunning piece of engineering.

Agreed - best I’ve ever had. It’ll see me out quite easily.

Unless I win the lottery - then there’ll be some auditioning to arrange, just for the hell of it.

1 Like

I have the 222/300 combo connected to my 300DR with the special Naim leads at home for 5 weeks now and it sounds good…….maybe the new 250 sounds better than the old 300DR maybe not…….there is a lot of bla, bla, bla im my opinion……

The leads to connect the NC range to the legacy range have been available pretty much from the beginning. My dealer had the ones they needed within days of the NC announcement. I heard my system a 222/300 into a 250DR there in early Jan and the needed lead arrived with my 222/300 in March.

Ah shucks. That’s a shame. Sorry to hear that @PeterJersey. I have a Roon Nucleus and I seem to be very lucky indeed. Everything I connect to it - MacBook Pro, iPhone, Mytek Brooklyn DAC, ND5XS2, Chromecast Audio Puck (hardware disk), MacBook Pro into Naim DAC V1, Chromecast on the telly…sure there’s some more…anyway, they all work flawlessly. Every time.

Ah man - I don’t know what to recommend here. I take it that you’ve contacted Naim?

I think other posters said the OP hadn’t added the device in Roon settings, hence it wasn’t “available”.

Not a naim/NSC222 issue.

PICNIC.

Not blah, blah, blah. I’ve compared both.

Would be interesting to hear from anyone who has traded in their 300DR for the NC250.

3 Likes

Thanks @IainO. Yes I’v just quickly scanned the thread now. I should have done that first.

Let’s hope it is indeed the chair - I’ve been there so many times - but I see that @PeterJersey hasn’t updated us yet. Have you enable your 222 in settings @PeterJersey. @NoNaim, @JamesW and @Lowdene are correct about enabling any new units that we add to our Roon real-estates.

Hope you’re up and running now.

Woodsmoke

The most sensible comments you have made on this topic

Thanks

1 Like

Blind test with systems active for several hours?