The Naim New Classic range - Part 1

Linn SMPS amps have always had a ‘dry’ and grey sound to them and this may be where problem lies. However, Klimax DSM3 (assuming it has Organik DAC) likely to be much better than NSC222. Why don’t you audition your DSM3 with 250 and see what happens? If it doesn’t work out then you can always go on to 222/300. ATB

6 Likes

Those Spendor’s are unforgiving of source gear and amps - you’ll hear exactly what they’re doing. Any slight dryness/leanness will be exposed.

Naim are likely a bit warmer on the electronics side, but you’d have to audition really given the sums involved.

1 Like

Changing the Linn Twin for the new 250.3 may work…I have demoed both options and the Naim new classic 250 worked very well with the DSM… far ahead soundwise than the Linn Twin (which is prob due for replacement anytime soon).

Good luck.

2 Likes

I have Spendor D9 with NAP 250 DR. I don’t know if it helps but they sound absolutely stunning. Sources are NDS/555 PS DR and Goldnote Mediterraneo record player. No thinness or other things lacking in midband.

1 Like

Agree. New 250 driving Dynaudio Contour 30i. It’s a special amp. Real punch and control. Super happy with mine.

That’s true of all 250’s - not just the 250.3 - IMO… :expressionless:

5 Likes

Wouldn’t disagree having owned them all at one point or another. That said, the new variation …. 300DR territory. Wow. Seriously good.

1 Like

I was going to write…

All 250’s are equal, but some are more equal than others… :pig: :pig2:

2 Likes

Thanks but as yet no luck with Roon on the NSC222. I am using a Lenovo Laptop running Roon Core software. This works fine with all my Uniti products Nova, Atom, Atom Headphone and also a Gold Note DS10. The Lenovo is wired direct to the Router along with the NSC222. The Unitis are either wired or on WiFi. I am using up to date Roon software. You might like to know that the NSC222 also has a habit of dropping out randomly when left on “always connected”. I thought this was fixed but its not. Overall the sound is excellent but its just a bit flakey and Roon seems to be a no go area. Still I have a work round for Roon by using my Atom Headphone line out as a line in to the NSC222. Its a faff but it works.

I know there is no problem when using a Roon Nucleus, EE8 switch and Naim NSC-222. Even running a Naim Core, which integrates wire Roon, also Quboz too. When using Roon, do you seen the Naim 222 symbol?

Thanks for the reply. When I start the Roon software on the Laptop it identifies the Naim or other units to link to. So all the active Uniti ones are listed but the NSC222 is never there. On the bottom right of the Roon Home page you can change from one output unit to another. The same applies on my iPad too .The NSC222 never appears as a choice.

I can’t open Roon where I am at the moment to check, but don’t you have to add each unit in Settings? Then it appears on the list of units bottom right.

1 Like

You are correct.

If you go in Settings, then Audio. You should see the Naim 222 and be able to enable it.

Yep, def make sure you enabled it as a zone.

If it’s already enabled, try switching off everything in your network right back to the router, and all components, including the Roon core. Then switch it all back on starting from the Router, then the Roon Core, then the endpoints, including the 222. Leave a good while between switching on the Router before you switch on any other switches, and between the other components, give the network time to reboot and assign each IP.

If this doesn’t work, next check your router and network settings for anything funky going on. See if the 222 is being assigned an IP address, etc.

2 Likes

New Classic is not in the NAP 300 DR’s territory. New Classic NAP 250 is above the NAP 300 DR :+1:

3 Likes

Are you sure? Did you here the difference ?

Trade member :thinking::thinking::thinking:

6 Likes

I can believe this as the new NAP250 has 20+ years of evolution in it. Thanks for sharing your experience here.

Listen for yourself………i prefer the 300 dr. It may do wonderful things for many speakers……but can you listen to it all day long?

6 Likes