The Naim New Classic range - Part 1

Seems to emphasise the “designed in Salisbury” part at the expense of adding “and built” to it - so I do wonder if these are made somewhere else…. But I may have missed that detail. Call me old fashioned, but I think that’s such an important part of the heritage…I can accept the MuSo’s being made elsewhere to hit a volume and a price point, but “proper” Naim should be explicitly made in Salisbury in my view.

Look fussy to me - with the pointless notch and then then heatsinks looking pretty clumsy - but I’m sure they’ll grow on me.

19 Likes

I’m pleased this new kit won’t look out of place on a rack with older classic units. Well apart from the logo. Surely it would have been simple to make the logo led switchable?

4 Likes

But are the prices including or excluding local VAT?

Adoption of balanced, plus unbalanced interconnects via XLR, “sensible”

Only one din input on streamer, more RCA connectors than din. “Well I never!”

3 Likes

Great job Naim, perfect price point to start the Naim journey. Plus the addition for vinyl, nice. You know when all we can complain about is the power supply’s model number (which I agree) Naim has done a super job.

2 Likes

The new products look like the CDS3.

7 Likes

I see the 300 PS has ‘300 Series’ on it back panel.

Maybe a 200 Series PS will arrive later…?

Or how about a 100 Series at a lower price point… :astonished:

The 250 was never the starting point. There was the 160 below it, and then the 120 - and later the 110.

1 Like

Well done Naim!

2 Likes

I think the New Classics look great and I am hoping to audition them at a visit to my dealer in a few weeks.

Realistically, my next upgrade was always going to be a 250. When I first came to that conclusion, about 5 months ago, they cost £4300 new. I am keen to hear the New Classic 250, but I am hoping that they represent a significant step up in sq to justify 32% increase in price in less than half a year. If not I suppose there’ll still be a few “Classic Classic” 250s on the market that dealers are looking to shift…?

2 Likes

I like the new product designs, but I would still like a dedicated preamp in the future range without a streamer included please…

4 Likes

True, but the core of Naim was green !

3 Likes

The amp and the power supply look fine, not convinced by the NSC 222 styling though and that’s what I was looking out for. Will have to go have a look and listen.

2 Likes

No 250 becomes a ‘bad’ amp, because a newer version has been made… :expressionless:

9 Likes

I’m sure the full range will be updated eventually. Maybe ± few boxes.

I noticed that as well; if there are samples with clear lids in the wiring dept., then its made at the factory.

1 Like

Is there any more info available on the NVC 331 phono stage?

Hans

A new look standalone DAC would be nice, particularly in the new guise.

5 Likes

Yep, that’s exactly what I thought, very reminiscent of a CDS3. Interesting how the 250’s speaker connections may interfere with the rear of a fraim post!

Also like the old "na"logo in the “300 series” print on the cardboard box.

1 Like

From Signals…

The new products will supplant NAC 282, NAC 252, NAP 250DR, Superline, HiCap DR and Supercap DR so these are all approaching end of life, even though some of the replacements have clearly yet to arrive.

Uniti, Nait XS, Supernait 3, ND 5XS 2, and NDX 2 all remain in production. Similarly, changes to the 500 series are not envisaged for a considerable period of time.

11 Likes

I saw them being built last time I was down in Salisbury.

13 Likes