The Naim New Classic range - Part 1

Its only mentioned on the US dealer site.

1 Like

Not keen on the divot taken out of the central section, otherwise is looks fine.

4 Likes

Quite a thoughtful set of products after a very quick read through the attachments in the pinned post. For some reasons though I thought of the Linn Majik product range, but ok Iā€™m not going to rush out and change everything.

1 Like

If made in Salisbury, the ā€œdesigned in Salisburyā€ is REALLY unfortunate language by Naim.

Apple have used ā€œdesigned in Californiaā€ for decades whilst the items are made in China.

Naim REALLY should change that language. In common parlance it absolutely suggests made elsewhere.

34 Likes

Hopefully the centre section on the fascia is the same width as the existing classic range so it doesnā€™t look out of placeā€¦

Initial impressions from me are good though.

Itā€™s going to make people think twice about ordering any of the remaining green logo boxes though surely? They must be on borrowed time.

Iā€™m curious if the Analog input is purely analog or digitized.

By the way, I like the look of the New Classic Range.

2 Likes

oldies but goodiesā€¦ I hope second hand prices will drop!!!
I am definetely enjoying my NDS I could never have bought new

3 Likes

I think all three look absolutely fabulous. Well done Naim
Just need to remove the ā€œsā€ from vinyls on the website for me to be completely satisfied :joy:

11 Likes

Wonderful!!

This a long overdue redesign imo. I never liked the look of the Classic and 500 series, but I love this new look. The white lights are fine by me. I can only imagine how much better it sounds too. After all, Naim have always improved the sound, if not the looks.

Well done Naim, and I look forward to seeing the rest of the line up in due course.

5 Likes

It sounds like future proofing to me, and certainly not a positive.

3 Likes

Agree that Designed in is much less value than Made in. I believe being able to print ā€œMade inā€ a certain percentage of the product must be made in that specific country. So if you just assemble the product in UK and ship most parts there from other countries of manufacture you might just be allowed using ā€œDesigned inā€.

6 Likes

Or just call them ā€œrecordsā€!

No more xps dr either? Eventually? It makes sense to rationalise the extra power supply options available.
From signals ā€œ We heard an NPX 300 driving the NDX 2 and it is a very significant upgrade over XPS DR. Special cable requirement notwithstanding, it could be a good place to start injecting the new DNA into existing systemsā€¦ā€
I wonder if it works with the nap 300? Hence the number makes sense.

1 Like

Some useful information here:

From signals dot uk dot com:

The NPX 300 power supply upgrade, that is part of the first wave of products, is from the 300 series and will become the default power supply for some of these forthcoming products as well as being an upgrade for the existing Solstice turntable and phono stage.

The new products will supplant NAC 282, NAC 252, NAP 250DR, Superline, HiCap DR and Supercap DR so these are all approaching end of life, even though some of the replacements have clearly yet to arrive.

Uniti, Nait XS, Supernait 3, ND 5XS 2, and NDX 2 all remain in production. Similarly, changes to the 500 series are not envisaged for a considerable period of time.

*What is going to be a shock for those keen on incremental change is the change of connectors from DIN to XLR (yet running in single ended mode). *

7 Likes

Looks much better than the leaked pictures as usualā€¦ā€¦i hope it is a chip off the old blockā€¦.though i think the sound signature might have changed?
Interesting some of the dealers heard the new kit versus a 552/500 and it was not better, but gave a good account of itselfā€¦

4 Likes

Just booked into my dealerā€™s demo event on 18th January. It looks like I will soon be Ā£11,500 poorer.

5 Likes

Yes!! I guess they think they will connect with the younger market better? Vinyls- honestly!

6 Likes

Are all boxes available from like now?

Great, thank you Richard.
Good to see a new range of classic series out in public.

The 222 looks to be a worthy successor to the 272. The inclusion of the MM phono stage is a great touch.

Do I detect a shift towards balanced interconnects as the new standard? If so, thatā€™s another step forward, as is the implementation of very low standby power supplies.

re colours, Naim has telegraphed the replacement of green lights with white ones. We do most of our listening in the evenings, so find green to be preferable by far as itā€™s a less distracting colour than the bright white. Perhaps the new white logos could be dimmable? FYI, Chord Electronics even went to the trouble to fit green lights for us, with an option to turn them off completely.

One care point: having moved a few Naim boxes around over the years, I always appreciated the slightly rounded edges of the extruded cases. It would be greatly appreciated if the corners of the new heat sinks are not razor sharp, as these corners can really dig in to hands/fingers, as well as chip or dent more easily.

Overall, a very positive development.

Iā€™m so looking forward to another enormously long cables thread on the forum, this time about balanced interconnects, which should all sound the same but absolutely donā€™t in our experience. :joy:

Best regards, BF

8 Likes

I suspect the multi-piece casing is cheaper to manufacture than the extrusions used previously. I assume this is reflected in the price.

5 Likes

I really hope it is not 8999 USD per box, that is not competitive.

6 Likes