The Naim New Classic range - Part 1

And so it begins :joy:

NPX 300 can work as power supply both for pre-amplifier only like nac 282 and streamers like NDX2?

I didnā€™t look at the precise specs, but your analysis is interesting. The NSC 222 seems indeed to be using the ND5 XS 2 platform as I suspected. But only Naim can tell us, Iā€™d love to hear that too!

2 Likes

It can power an NDX2 but not one of the old all-analog pre-amps such as the NAC282.

1 Like

Kinky.

2 Likes

What does 666 mean

1 Like

If its like the '272 (?) there are pre-fader line outs that I have used to feed a tape machine in the past. No tape monitor but most decks have a headphone jack for PB head monitoring during recording.

Feel sorry for anyone with plans to upgrade their classic range systems. If the SuperCap and HiCap will no longer be available many people will be scuttled halfway through their Naim journey. One of the best pieces of advice around upgrades Iā€™ve read on this forum is ā€œknow your endpointā€.
With these changes you may know your endpoint and never be able to get there.

7 Likes

I guess it could power anything that an XPS could power thenā€¦?
Like a CDX2 or a CDS3ā€¦ :thinking: :astonished:

Regarding things made in China, in terms of product quality so much depends on quality control, for which not all industries in China are well renowned ā€“ but some are very good. Regardless, as far as people not liking things to be made in China is concerned, a large proportion of many or possibly most electronic items they purchase will contain a lot of components made in China, even if the final product manufacture is in another country such as UK.

4 Likes

Thereā€™s a buoyant pre-loved market though ?

I donā€™t like buying ā€œpre-lovedā€ though, so Iā€™m just glad Iā€™m at my endpoint.

Not to mention the issues of them touching! :0)

I could not continue in this ā€˜hobbyā€™ without pre-loved items.

New items are (mostly) way beyond my budget.

Butā€¦ others will disagree - they have deeper pockets that I do, now. Good Luck to them.

11 Likes

Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is six hundred and sixty-six." Revelation 13:18

Also a rather fine prog rock album by Aphroditeā€™s Child, and referenced by Iron Maidenā€™s third album, and the closing section of Genesisā€™s Supperā€™s Ready.

5 Likes

Hi Evey - The new classic 200 series not only looks great but also has super high technical specifications - no question about it!!! I wonder if our ear can distinguish between 32bit/384kHz and 24bit/192kHz or 24bit/96kHz???

ā€œDonā€™t worry. Weā€™ll track down a second-hand Hi-Cap for yaā€¦ā€

:grin:

16 Likes

:slight_smile: Iā€™m genuinely not trying to troll Naim, itā€™s just every time I see arrays of similar components (e.g some of those ladder DACs) I just imagine one component going wrong! Obviously an Alps pot is a single point of failure, and a relay based system might have more graceful failure modes, Iā€™m just interested in any back story that can be shared. Not necessarily expecting an official answer, but maybe a forum member with more knowledge of MTBF and systems like this might have something to share :slight_smile:

And as I say, doesnā€™t stop me wondering if the NSC222 would play nicely with my XS3 as an interim step to a 200 based system in years to come X)

2 Likes

I would guess because the HE is 1st and foremost a headphone amp with a secondary function as a straming pre and the 222 is a streaming pre first and foremost with a secondary function as a headphone amp. Adding balanced headphone sockets and the tooling to make the holes etc would add to the cost andf only a minority would use it?

2 Likes

I agree - I think the performance on offer here - is significant unless they are going to further rationalise the remaining classic series which I canā€™t see happening for a whileā€¦that being said it would be nice to see some further updates to the 552ā€¦aka volume controlā€¦