The Naim New Classic range - Part 1

Yep that is my idea as well. But curious if it is accurate. If it is indeed the case it would mean that my system is at the perfect niche level for my listening even though the HE is not the best source for the NAP 250DR. If not it could mean that in time I should move to the 222.

Reason being that I do more headphone listening that over the speakers.

Hi, sorry, no line out on NSC 222.

1 Like

The UK price was £3300 (£3600 with FM/DAB) much the same as an NDX at the time.

you are correct.

…The 8 pin DIN socket can also be used in the same way as the 5 pin DIN.

I.e. It’s like a 5 pin DIN but has extra pins to power the phono stage

1 Like

No…

1 Like

I’m quite ok with the new look and think Naim have done well to produce a new one with good aesthetic compatibility with the old(er) Classics. It is still quite a conservative design IMO, but probably needs to be with their long-standing customer base. However, I am not the target market (although in time I may help fund others into that market by relieving them of their older units).

My prediction for the next product release is a notched dust brush resembling the proportions of the cooling fins.

2 Likes

Presumably its not possible to insert a 5 pin din incorre ctly… i fear for my Aria phono stage :rofl:

I know all the talk about integrating the 222 with other Naim gear is only to be expected but I can only see it in two ways, either a two box plus speakers or a single box with active speakers. If you want to add a PS you might as well add a streamer and go for a dedicated pre/ps. I have thought about downsizing in a few years if I move abroad and my inclination would be the 222/active, bit like having a Uniti (looks wise) but much much better. Or have I just become very very boring? :thinking:

1 Like

will be interesting to see the new components of the family that will come: as hicap and supercap are discontinued, will the new pre amplifiers be all including power supply? or there will be successors of hicap and supercap? we will see…

Keen to see how the 250NC integrates with my new 282/HC (which is going nowhere ever!)

1 Like

And nothing about supernait 5?!
Pity…

Or you you’d simply be at a lower level than you are now. It’s not like everyone buying new is going 500/statement only.

1 Like

I have to say that the components can be put aside the green logo series, this is a smart choice for all of us :smile:

1 Like

Mmm which cables between N222 and my ATC SCM40a , currently the feed from N272/555 uses some made up din to XLR.
what a shame Cymbiosis is just about within my long run distance away

NSC 222 has our latest headphone amplifier circuit. First used in the Atom HE and was designed for a conceptual 500 series product.

Atom HE was specifically for headphones and as such supported more headphone sockets and a headphone toggle button. NSC 222 has one socket and no button, we choose the leading socket; 1/4 inch.

A balanced connection for headphones is not needed for long cables. An amplifier tolerant of more complex loads is needed, e.g. longer cables = more capacitance/inductance. The new circuit will drive very long headphone cables.

Balanced headphone connection removes the common ground connection.

2 Likes

I suspect the benefits of a Streamer+Pre with each part benefiting from a separate PS are greater than those of a Streamer + Pre with one separate PS

Thank you @Richard.Dane or whoever from Naim corrected this.

Much better.

20 Likes

The volume knob is fly by wire (digitally controlled analogue)

Volume is controlled using reed relays and fixed resistors.
Expensive but has great sound quality and excellent channel balanced.

6 Likes

I kinda hope there’s a lower price PSU in the wings. The NPX-300 is quite a chunk of money if it’s required for any dedicated pre amp lining up. The NPX-TT might be the form factor?

It does seem like we now have 4 PSU/control connection types, the Type 1 and Type 2 from the NPX-TT and Type 3 and 4 from the NPX-300.

npx 300 cannot be used for pre amp only like 282 or 252, let’s see if there will be further psu or all new pre that will come will have internal psu

2 Likes