The Naim New Classic range - Part 1

Not me, but welcome all the same.

1 Like

Logic would suggest a good - better - best approach
So maybe three options…

Leading to speculation of price points, maybe like c.ÂŁ2k - c.ÂŁ4k - ÂŁ5.7k

Edit : Agree about NPX-TT. That form factor might be the entry level option.

1 Like

Is the white ring on the knob a light or a pigment and if a light can it be set to off?

1 Like

Sounds really good. Thanks for clarifying!

Just a word (or two) of appreciation here for the generous and open input to this thread from @Stevesky and @110dB not to mention our Glorious Lieder ™ @Richard.Dane

It makes me feel the “Classic” Naim Ethos is alive and well… :grinning:

29 Likes

Thank you for replying @110dB.

As for the supposed SQ improvement when not using the same ground is that true?

Purely from a headphone perspective would the 222 equal or outperform the Atom HE on the same pair of headphone is the headphone are connected to the HE using XLR?

It is space, and simplicity.

The 1/4 inch is the most popular connection for headphones that are commensurate with 222.

Atom HE has many sockets for the headphone enthusiast with more than one pair of headphones. And they can leave them plugged in and press the toggle button.

222 we expect the user to have one lovely pair of headphones. We also expect they will be removed when not being used.

2 Likes

Blimey this is a long thread!

However yes, when i got my email yesterday, I figured they’d let the kids have a play…

1 Like

Definitely seconded. It’s great to have factory input on this thread (and other threads). Also great to hear how much they’ve been looking forward to talking about the new products!

4 Likes

Thank you again @110dB.

You have given me the information I have been looking for. Really helpful!

It still quotes a sampling rate of 284kHz. Surely this should be 384kHz? @Richard.Dane @110dB

1 Like

That text has also been corrected/changed

Nice that as forum members we can contribute in this way.

8 Likes

Has it been said that the HiCap is being discontinued?

HERE, HERE!
The prompt responses to technical queries on this HUGE thread has been fantastic.
Thank you to the Naim colleagues for their invaluable input and @Richard.Dane of course.

9 Likes

“Audio Headphones” … / “Exceptional Assembly” … good grief.

I looks like they didn’t include a digital output on the NSC222, am I right?
If so, I would consider this a significant loss in functionality. My current SuperUniti is a real work-horse of a device due in part to its variety of i/o interfaces.

3 Likes

We have written a white paper on balanced audio for Naim. It will be released soon.

DINs are still great and they are included for inputs.

DINs have been removed from power amplifiers.
Naim had 5 different types of input connection for power amps.

• RCA
  • DIN
  • XLR stereo
  • XLR mono
  • XLR balanced

The new 250 is now the same as Statement; XLR balanced.

This took many months of circuit simulation, circuit testing, auditioning, listening room tuning. The balanced input uses zero feedback, single ended class A buffers.

The new circuit was added to an existing 250DR, the input buffering afforded by the ‘class A’ buffers improved the sound quality over an above the previous single ended XLR configuration. We were delighted.

We hope you like the result and we also hope you appreciate the simplicity that all amps from now will have the same connection method.

27 Likes

Seen that too
Observation is NO digital out. (Unlike the previous N-272)

So, looks like a closed system : Streamer / DAC + Pre-amp, etc

Edit : Thinking about this, you might only require a DIG o/p, if you felt there were better DAC’s to be used. Then what are you going to with signal next - go back into NSC 222 pre-amp. Maybe not. (Kinda defeats the whole point of a one box solution). So, conclusion this implies a certain confidence the implementation of combined DAC + Pre-amp is more than adequate, for most usage cases.

1 Like

a shame naim could’nt follow the radical simplicity of the muso design - all controls on the volume knob & the subtle lighting of the naim logo via the perspex base i’m afraid that to my eyes the 222 looks a bit of a mess by comparison but obviously tastes vary and many seem very happy with the new look

2 Likes

:cry: