The Naim New Classic range - Part 1

That answers my question, because I currently use 115v models with our nominal 100v mains (which measures 103v) and in 8 years have never had an issue.

1 Like

Yes, for the new NAP250 it is how it drives crossover dips so music flow effortlessly. In 1ohm itā€™s about 780W into 1Ī© (1kHz 1mS)

Also the current drive of +/-28 amps.

9 Likes

Can you connect the NSC222 to naitXS2? A great job Naim has done with the ner classic line.

This is possible and good for an interim. For best results use a power amp.

Two volume controls is a little messy visually and ergonomically. Can use NSC 222 into the Nait XS2 and set the Nait XS to AV bypass mode (or remove the pre-amp to power amp link plug and go direct into the PA stage).

2 Likes

Probably not, at least not from a Marketing/sales pov. See how much hype this creates? Not just here, there will be reviews in magazines etc. And magazines will probably choose to review only one device/range at a time.

By spreading it over multiple releases you get this a few times instead of it all being over at once. And the magazine that now reviewed this will possibly also ask to review the new releases six months (or whatever it is) down the line.

3 Likes

945 posts. Who, with a 250 or a 272 is ordering a replacement?

I guess that this release is more directed at attracting new buyers to the Naim user family?

Perhaps all the Uniti and XS series owners, looking up ???

2 Likes

Some of us entry level Classic series owners (202/200DR/HCDR/NAPSC) have our interest well and truly piqued. Especially as this year, a Streamer was on the cardsā€¦ :wink:

1 Like

I know, I had one! But you canā€™t then use the 272ā€™s preamp, as I said. You couldnā€™t just bypass the internal DAC in order to use an external one.

Roger

Steve,

Thank you for the explanation of why music services and specifically Apple donā€™t like tight integrations through APIs. I can understand why this would make further innovation and backward compatibility with legacy 3rd party products very challenging.

So both Tidal and Spotify have Connect services which are ā€˜thinā€™ interfaces and can potentially keep the control of UI to the native iDevice apps from the music service provider. I suppose this would overcome the above challenge. Would you say this is an approach Apple may take with Apple Music and the innovations they are doing with Lossless and Spatial Audio? If so, I think that would be better than the status quo.

It would really be a shame if there is no integration of these leading commercial streaming services like Spotify and Apple Music (especially now that they are lossless), because when it comes to music content, this is where the dollars are and where a wide range of music content is available, both in terms of old albums as well as new releases. My Tidal playlists keep having gaps in them for music that has been withdrawn from their service.

Thanks,

I have a Nova which I enjoy very much but had been thinking vaguely of upgrading as a retirement present in 18 months. These thoughts had been vague but with the introduction of the New Classics the obvious way to go would be an NSC200/NAP250. So I think there will be appeal to current owners of Uniti products. Talking to other people, I think that current owners of SN3 etc might be tempted if they had upgrade thoughts.

4 Likes

Are these boxes delivered with interconnects between pre and power and if you buy the PS does it come with cables so you can connect it to the nsc222?

Yes, but Iā€™d class those as new buyers although not new to the Naim family.

I wouldnā€™t have thought there were many with a 282/252 in to a nap 200, who want to change. The 250 would be the thing to go for rather than the entire streamer setup surely?

Fair comment.

I donā€™t know, but with so many connection options and possibilities for thePS I would think it unlikely - where more than one option exists (e.g Supercap or 555PS), Naim usually donā€™t supply a cable otherwise you end up with cabling you donā€™t need. Of course, I could be wrong in which case Iā€™m sure @110dB will put me right.

1 Like

I found a picture of unboxing which shows a to me new cable (XLR?). @Richard.Dane might be able to confirm which cables are included in the boxes? Cannot find information on this.

4 Likes

Iā€™m sure the 200 series sounds fantastic and I wish Naim well with it. It looks more blokey than ever though. Not that I am in a buying position but my partner is going to hate it when I enthusiastically show her the pics. Maybe it is just enough for a manufacturer to say, ā€˜by and large, itā€™s men who buy hi-fi, therefore letā€™s make it appeal to men.ā€™

Assuming the visual appeal of the units was test-marketed, Iā€™d be interested to know the gender split of those groups.

(Apologies in advance for the heteronormative assumptions behind this post. No offence intended.)

I didnā€™t say that you could loop it back in, all I said was the the (very useful) digital output that the 272 and SU has, has been removed in the NSC 222. this is a reduction in functionality and a loss to some of us.

Just because some canā€™t think of a use for it doesnā€™t make it useless or unnecessary.

2 Likes

Yes all cable necessary are provided

3 Likes

Good pointā€¦but they have added a vinyl inputā€¦which is very welcomeā€¦